1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

electrical problems with Fisher 8.5ft. V

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Matthew C., Feb 1, 2011.

1. Matthew C.

Matthew C. Junior Member

i recently had a 8.5ft V blade put on my 2002 GMC 2500HD, it worked fine first couple of plows, but this morning when i went to start the truck, it acted like it did not want to start, i finally got it started, but i noticed my engine RPM was only at 500, its usually at 1200-1500. im wondering if the plow draws too much juce and fried the battery, so the truck wont hold RPM's. not shure where to go from here, i looked and there is no recalls related to the issue, for the truck.

2. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

are you running a dual battery?

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Shouldn't matter, I run my XLS off one, and it's the same truck.

OP: I honestly don't think it's related. If anything check your battery connection, who ever installed it may've failed to re tighten it enough, you have to add and extension stud to the terminals on these trucks in order to install the power cable for the plow.....a few bounces around the snow banks and bingo...one mysterious problem.

You could have the battery and or alternator tested...either or could of been on the way out to begin with, and then add a few runs with a plow to tax the system....over the edge it went.

4. Matthew C.

Matthew C. Junior Member

no i dont have dual batteries, i have 100amp alternater, and 75 cranking amp battery, i also made shure all battery terminals are tightened. im going to have to bring it back to the dealer and have them sort it out.

5. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago.Truck wouldn't start, jumped it,went across town,came home tried to start it dead.I had just replaced the battery a few months ago.So after some testing I found the battery positive box below the alternator was only getting .3 volts and the battery was putting out 12.7.So I figured out I didn't put the positive terminal on tight and the jumper cables were able to make the connection.Yeah I didn't think it mattered since I run a plow,hids,and a system off one battery and never have a problem.

6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

100 amp??? It should be more like 130ish.

They'll probably will find it's a charging issue of some sorts, best of luck!

7. Matthew C.

Matthew C. Junior Member

turns out, it was 2 seperate issues, 1st, my battery was bad, got brand new battery, solved low rpms, second the plow was not reacting to the controller, turns out there was a bad wire, so every thing work as it should now, thanks .:mechanic: