1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electrical problems w/ lights on SEHP

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by rbergevine, Nov 12, 2008.

1. rbergevine

rbergevine Member

Electical problem.
    Basics: SEHP, 2 plug, 9 pin straight blade on 95 Chevy K1500 4x4.
    Brand new battery 1000A/850 CCA

New home with 970 ft drive so I bought the truck which came with plow over the summer. I read every Fisher doc avail and have lurked this site without asking questions for many months but now I really do need help. I am very hands-on and can usually figure anything out.

When bought in July I hooked up plow, Hydro did not work but lights worked - they switched as expected between truck and plow, etc. I thought that was cool. I completely overhauled the hydr parts and tested in last weekend. I was ecstatic when the plow now worked as it should - I had done a great job making it right again - so I thought
    Now electrical problems began...

Lights off - plow functions great - all motions.
    Lights off & Rt turn signal - plow drops or angles Rt
    Turn lights on and plow start movement and no light gets to plow.
    When it begins to move unexpectedly I just shut it down.

What perplexes me is it worked fine before overhauling the hydro.
    What could be different causing the symptoms above?

I have schematics but not sure where to start given that the light functions
    had been working fine, I just fixed the fluids, hoses, etc. The only electric I did was disconnect motor leads ... could I have them backward now?
    I inspected all wires, leads, connectors etc and nothing seems obviously wrong/bad.

Please send me any input you may have.
    As I said, I have read a ton and would not ask unless I've done my homework.
    Thanks you in advance.
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sounds like the dreaded DD plug rot.:nod: Check the molded grill plugs, they are known to rot out and cause these kinds of problems.
  3. rbergevine

rbergevine Member

Thank you all very much. SOLVED.

I also posted the issue in truck repair forum...

In my haste to put the pump back on after a complete system flush and a new gasket a couple weekends ago, I neglected to reattach the small blk/org ground wire that runs from the coil/solenoid box on the manifold over to the ground on the pump motor. It is mostly black and laid back up against the black angle iron of the headgear frame - easy to miss.

I studied the schematic intensely trying to figure this out and had determined it was likely a ground issue and then DirtmanDa2 said the same! The gound of the headlights and blinker comes back across that unattached wire to pump neg and then back via the 2-prong plug to the truck side ground.
    The parking lights worked because they have their own ground at the light.

Basically Operator error and lesson learned - I'll certainly never make that mistak again!

Thanks to all who replied and an extra thumbs up to DirtManDan2 for nailing it !

Peace to all.