1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS??? or NORMAL???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by befnme, Jan 2, 2008.

1. befnme

befnme Junior Member
    from nc.

I recently purchased an older model swenson plow. I was out today pushing down my dirt drive just moving a little topsand to try and get the feel of everything .well it's in the 30's here but with wind the feels like is in the teens. So i was using my heater. I noticed that with my heater and lights going everything i move the blade in any direction my lights and heater dims. Is this normal? Or do you get it warm in your truck the shut the heat off to push?

My truck is a 2004 f250 6.0

2. befnme

befnme Junior Member
    from nc.

Forgot to mention that I am quite sure I wired everything correctly. It all goes directly to the battery.

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

normal .

JR

4. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

its normal, I have the same problem but getting a bigger charging system costs way to much and just isn't worth it

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

How fast or how high were your rpm's..
    A lot of alts do not start to really put out a lot of power until they reach 15-2k in rpm's

next clean the electrical connections on your plow if you have not already.
    Did you do your annual service?
    New fluid and clean the filter?

If this is normal?...... a second battery may be a solution worth looking into?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  6. befnme

befnme Junior Member
    from nc.

Thanks for the help guys. Now i know what to expect. Snowfarmer I already have 2 batteries:waving: lord i don't want 3.

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

lol I hear ya..:waving:

But with two batts you souuld be abel to run everything you have at almost any speed

8. saabman

saabman Member
    from Maine

That is totally normal. A bigger battery or dual batteries will lessen the impact voltage drop but their primary advantage is faster recovery time.

9. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

ref dual batteries i know there have been many post on how to hook up dual batteries and i was all prepaired to do it and then i go and do a little research and find that someone is saying that i need to run an isolater on the second bat. what do you guys think iso or not do you think if i run them in series + to +, - to - am i going to be ok with my 03 f-150 HELP!!!!:help::help::help::help:

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

No isolater needed...:waving:

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What I always notice is when you first start out everything is cold. Once the truck is warmed up the elections flow better and the fluid gets nice and hot ,so less strain.

12. jjtmarineb2

jjtmarineb2 Member

Actually electrons flow faster/better as the temperature drops. The battery may not produce as much when cold due to the chemical reaction being slower, but as for the electricity, colder is better.

13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Than maybe I'm warmed up,because things seem to go faster.:D

14. saabman

saabman Member
    from Maine

Hey where can I find some super conductor battery cables :)

In all seriousness, parallel connection (+ to +, and - to -) is what you want. Run the cables away from heat sources (like on top of the fan shroud). When first started a battery is not in an ideal state to handle the load of the pump. Notice the difference in CCA of a battery at 0 degrees vs 60 degrees. But you should be warming your truck before use anyway. You are going to work the engine hard so you want the oil flowing well. Under hood temps should rise and that will help the battery warm up (slow but sure, it is quite a heat sink)