1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electrical problem?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by IGETPLOWED, Dec 15, 2008.

1. IGETPLOWED

IGETPLOWED Junior Member

I have a 2001 Silverado with a unimount western 8 ft. poly blade snow plow. I've had it about 5 years now with no problems. Recently it would not go to the left from time to time. It became more and more frequent the past two weeks. I took it in to get fixed, originally it was thought to be the selinoids. When I picked it up they ended up replacing the motor. They said it was drawing to much power from the truck and it was shutting down the controller. Problem is that it is doing it again!! I was told to get the charging system looked at on the truck. The battery is a two year old optima yellow top and I replaced the alternator last year so I doubt that is it. Any suggestions?? Did I get ripped off by them replacing the motor?? Thanks for any suggestions

Dan

2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

When it doesnt go left, does it do something different like raise? are any other functions affected?

3. IGETPLOWED

IGETPLOWED Junior Member

Yup. If I hit left it'll raise sometimes other times it goes left. It is starting to do it now on left and right movements. You must know something I don't.

Dan

4. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Start simple, mine does it every so often too. It is usually water in my grill connectors... try cleaning them out and put some dielectric grease in them...

5. IGETPLOWED

IGETPLOWED Junior Member

I tried that. I'm guessing its something with the controller now??

6. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Could be, if you know anyone with a spare controller you could ask them to borrow it for a night.... What controller are you useing?

7. IGETPLOWED

IGETPLOWED Junior Member

The newer joystick one with the red buttons. I'm gonna take it back to the place tomorrow where I had the motor put on the plow tomorrow and ask a lot of questions. I dont know why they would put the motor on the thing in the first place. Kind of an expensive route to take to by simply guessing. Thanks for the quick replies.

Dan

8. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

lets see,

Doubt very much that it was the motor, would have seen heavy amp draw on the gauge.

Does it get worse the more you run the plow?

Are any other functions having any issues?

9. IGETPLOWED

IGETPLOWED Junior Member

Just got it back from the shop again. The replaced some master selinoid. They also told me to get my battery checked. They took it off and test it, said that it was drawing 10 volts under load which I guess is normal. But then they said to recharge the battery it was drawing 70 amps to recharge and that it should only draw around 20 amps. I have an optima yellow top battery that I bought new in February of '07. Is the battery bad??? Plow seems to be working alright though for the time being. Supposed to get 3 to 5 inches tonight!

Thanks for all the replies!!

Dan