1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

electrical problem ??

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by groundbreakers, Jan 6, 2008.

1. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

i have a 98 dakota .. thats getting a lil strange with poppin fuses ..... last week i was heading home when some noticed brake lights werent workin .. okay fine ... so i saw they werent working ... so i located the fuse under the hood .. replaced the fuse ... next day ... thinkin everything is good ... went to use the turn signals ... guess what .... they dont work ... so now i find both the brake light .. and hazard light fuses both are under the hood are popped .... i put a stick inthe truck to hold down the brake pedal and go to replace the fuse for the brakes and POP as soon as it makes contact .... electrical short or what ?? .... just started last week ... im out of ideas .. and what would the hazard lights and turn signals have to do with brake lights ??

thanks for any feed back //.

RODHALL Senior Member

hazzard lights, trun signals and brake lights.... all use the same wire

You going to have to strat tracing wires from the tail lights toward the front........ till you find a bare wire or a pair of wire melted togather.

if you have a trialer plug on your truck start looking there first.

is you back up lights working? and is your marker lights working ?
  3. groundbreakers

yah my back up lights work fine ... my parking lights work fine .. its only when you use the brake pedal is when you pop the fuse .. but its only the fuse uder the hood. my neighbor mention sumtin about the trailer wiring harness also ... and its just started last week ... and lookin at the hanes repair manual really dont make sense .... i just love electrical troubleshooting ... LOL
  4. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

Brake lights, hazzards and turnsignals ALL to through the turnsignal switch.

It's possible the turnsignal switch is the cause. I'd check everything else first though, as replacing the turnsignal switch is not a fun thing to do....
  5. groundbreakers

i was just curious .. can the brake light switch or turn signal switch creat a short in the electrical system ... cuz when replace the fuse for the turn signals / hazard light .. they work until you use the brake pedal then BAM both fuses pop