1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

electrical problem with a 88 chevy

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Chevytruck85, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

I just recently got a 88 chevy truck and I had the headlights on the othernight and all of a sudden they shut off and i lost power to the truck. So I looked at the fuse panel and there was a 3 in. piece of wire that went from a unmarked 20amp fuse to a unmarked 15 amp fuse accross the front of the fuse panel, and the 15 amp fuse was melted. So i tried putting a new 15 amp fuse in and eliminating the wire but still had no power. I also tried reconecting the wire with the new fuse and the wire stared to get hot. does anyone have an idea of what this wire was for and why it melted all of a sudden. (this wasent the first time I used the headlights) thanks.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

1st thing to do is get your test light out.

Next check the 12v positive leading into the headlight switch.

If there is power going in then turn your headlights on and check the wire coming out to see if there is power.

Do this with out the jumper wire that was put in from one fuse to the next.

I would follow the wires to the lights themselves to make sure they are not spliced off from to another accessory (fog lights horn or something).

Is the list of fuse placement still on the fuse box panel cover?

If it is look to see what that unmarked fuse is for.

Make sure everything works without that fuse. Brake lights, 4 ways, turn signals, horn, dome light,radio, wipers and everything else.

It is my gut reaction that the switch is bad but the previous owner may have something wired that he removed and one of the positive wires he left is grounding out somewhere. Most common where this was the case it was fog lights that they took off and left the wires hanging.

I ain't saying that is what it is but it is a start.

When I got my 88 a couple of years ago I lost all electrical one night while driving. Blew most of the fuses and the radio would not even work. Well it was a wire the guy ran along side the main harness where it exits through the firewall under/behind the glove box. Where he spliced into he only used black tape and after the heater and working it a month or so it started shorting out on a steel bracket connected to the dash. In turn that melted other wires to the point that they fused together shorting everything out.

What a mofo that was to find and fix but with time and a lot of thinking I found it and replaced the wires and all was fixed. I went back to the seller and he told me the wire was from his fog light he removed and he "thought" he removed all the wires because he "pulled on em" till they came out.

Hope you can find the problem. I know electrical problems has caused some mechanics to leave the trade and start a new career.

If it is a option I would call the guy you got the truck from and ask what the he ll is up with the jumper wire and why.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  3. daninline

daninline Senior Member

sounds like 1/2 of the fuse box was dead so someone put in a jumper wire.

Let me lookup a wiring printout of the truck.
    I'll get back to you.
    What port was the 15 amp fuse in?

Dan

4. daninline

daninline Senior Member

This is for a c/k model truck.
    Let me know if it's a different truck model.

Attached Files: