1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electrical problem...Torwel Electric Sander

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by greensidelg, Dec 10, 2013.

1. greensidelg

greensidelg Junior Member
    from CT

I'm going to try to explain this as best I can, but my electrical and mechanical knowledge are not the best. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have a 2013 GMC 2500HD with a Torwel electic sander and an 8' Boss Super Duty straight blade. Bought at all at the same time last March and were installed by the dealer. Truck has plow prep package and a single battery. I also had the plow/sander dealer replace the factory roof lights with amber strobes and added an aluminum headache rack that has a set of ambers and a set of LED flood lights. There are some other electronic accessories I have added on my own. The dealer didn't think they would be a problem in terms of their draw in relation to the plow/sander.

Today was the maiden voyage for the sander. Hooked it up about a week ago everything tested fine. The only way I have messed with the sander is I moved the switch into the overhead console from beneath the center dash by the floor where it was installed. Tested after I moved the switch and everything was fine. At my first account about 50 feet into the first use it stops running, all my interior lights, radio, etc... flicker and the truck feels like its about to stall but doesnt...sander doesn't work. Called the dealer, who told me about the circuit breaker for it under the hood. Reset the breaker and it's good to go, until the next time it have it running for more than a few feet. I keep resetting the breaker and the same thing keeps happening over and over. When it happens, the voltage drops way down (almost all the way) then slowly climbs back up.

From reading through some other threads all I have found is that it may possibly be a bad ground. Could that be the case? Would adding a second battery fix the problem or is there something else going on?

Thanks in advance

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I am thinking you have a short in the wiring. Chase the wires and look for any damage. What amp rating is on the breaker?

3. greensidelg

from CT

Thanks for replying. The breaker is 120amp.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What happens when you run the Salter with nothing in it?

5. greensidelg

from CT

Same result when empty. I just checked the wiring at the switch (which I had moved) and everything looks fine. Reset the breaker and flipped the switch and immediately the lights dimmed and it tripped. I feel like the fact that its brand new points toward my moving the switch the likely cause even though it wasnt a complicated task. Thanks again.

6. greensidelg

from CT

Not sure if its related but since I hooked the sander up for the winter ive been getting a message on the info center that says "service trailer brake system" the sander uses a trailer style plug but it has its own reciver the dealer mounted under the passenger side rear bumper so the factory 7 blade reciever next to the license plate isnt currently in use.

7. dieselss

Ok. I'm thinking you moving.the switch has nothing to do with your issue.
    Can you unplug the salter and then turn on.the switch and see if your circuit breaker blows?

8. greensidelg

from CT

unplugged and it still blew the breaker

9. dieselss

Then like kimber said you have a short somewhere.
    Is there a solenoid.in the system?

10. greensidelg

from CT

If what I think is a solenoid actually is then yes it's mounted under the hood by on the passenger side just underneath the windshield wiper

11. dieselss

I'm just trying to picture your set up.
    I'm saying its a short. Start looking at your wiring.

12. greensidelg

from CT

I really appreciate your help. I will get underneath it tomorrow and follow the wires in daylight. Is there anything or anywhere I should pay closer attention to?

One other thing I remembered was that when the breaker was in the process of tripping and the voltage was down, for some reason I hit the button to kill the traction control and the voltage jumped up as the throttle kicked back in. Is the traction control a feature that uses a lot of power? Should I be turning it off when plowing since there are so many opportunities for the wheels to spin that it's constantly going to be drawing power? I've never plowed with a truck that had traction control.

Thank you

13. kimber750

You should turn traction control off will plowing, not to conserve power but to lessen the wear on your brakes. Pay close attention to any place the wires are up against metal.

14. greensidelg

from CT

Awesome, thanks to you too Kimber, much appreciated. Hopefully it's something obvious and I can get this thing fixed quickly!

15. greensidelg

from CT

Found the short. The heavy guage red power wire that runs from the engine compartment to the rear bumper is touching the cat which melted through the insulation leaving the strands exposed. Can I cut out the damage and splice in a new section or do I need to run a new wire?

16. greensidelg

from CT

Or if the strands are fine can I repair the insulation somehow and just tie it up away from the cat so itdoesnt happen again?

17. kimber750

Tape it up and see how it works. I would go back over all the wiring and make sure it is tied up and protected? Did you have a dealer install this? If so they should get an ear full and should replace the damaged wire.

18. greensidelg

from CT

Thanks. Taped it up really well and tied it to the frame away from the cat. Looked fine everywhere else. Problem seems to be fixed it ran for 10 minutes without issue. Thanks again im relieved to have this out of the way!

19. dieselss

Good deal.....