1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electrical problem, possible short?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Mower For Less, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Mower For Less

Mower For Less Senior Member

Alright, in my last post http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=29887 I thought that the E-60 was bad. Now, my E-47 is starting to do the same thing, stall out the engine and act like it has no power to lift. Just happened to me first time today while I was out running some errands. Luckily I got it back up and got it home. I am not sure what all could be wrong. I would rather not replace tons of stuff throwing darts at it. Anybody ever had a similar situation where operating the pump seemed to put an obsurd load on the engine to the point of stalling it out, and acting like it had no power to lift? Yes, the voltage on the voltage gauge drops severely when this occurs (much more than a normal dip). What could cause this to happen???

I was thinking possibly a bad wire, but if the wire wasnt making good contact, how could it develop enough load to stall the engine?

Maybe a bad solenoid? It is a few years old, but worked at the end of last year when I stopped using it. Could try replacing it, but not sure how a bad solenoid would cause the problem either?

Bad battery? Its only 1 year old, and dosent give any other signs of being faulty, still cranks the engine strong, and thats a similar load, so it should be fine?

Alternator? Also only one year old, and appears to be fine with all other accessories and per the voltage gauge.

Some kind of short somewhere? But what could short out, none of the wires appear frayed or loose?

Any suggestions? Anybody? Really looking for some second opinions, quick!

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Start with your battery cable connections at the battery, pump, solenoid, and if the cable has a plug near the pump ((Especially the ground and the ground should be back to the battery) bad ground will get you every time). Have the charging system load tested, both the battery and alternator and have them done unhooked from each other (may be putting out the volts but short on amps). Have the plow motor load tested at the motor (worn brush's will cause a heavy draw).
  3. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I agree with the above reply. Have the set up tested. A bad ground will do a lot of crazy things. Just because the under carriage is hooked up to the truck doesn't mean it has a good ground.
    Why was the battery and alt changed last year? Where you having problems? Usually having both changed in the same year means there might of been problems.
  4. Mower For Less

Mower For Less Senior Member

Thanks for the couple replys. I was out working on it today for a few hours, and think I have it licked. I changed the solenoid, because I had 2 spares on hand, and figured it couldnt hurt, it was looking pretty corroded and I did'nt want it to fail mid-season. Did not change the problem though, so that wasnt it. I unhooked and cleaned all wire connections, and plugged everything back together with di-electric grease. I am pretty sure it was a bad ground issue, becuase just for fun I unhooked the ground wire completely, and it did the same thing. It looks like cleaning everything up solved the problem. My guess is it was trying to ground itself through the frame. I will order some new cables to have on hand just in case, but it looks good for now.

I replaced the alternator and battery last year becuase I just bought the truck last year, and the alternator was a cheesy rebuild and it looked like the voltage regulator had failed, the voltage would swing wildly up and down. Lights looked like disco balls. I replaced it with a new 140 Amp. I replaced the battery becuase it was only a 800cca battery, and although it had not failed, I put a 1000cca battery in it just to beef it up, and get a little extra muscle. The aux battery was already a 1000cca, so I left it. (also didnt like the idea of 2 dissimilar batterys in a dual battery setup).

I put the E60 back on, and it is working perfectly now, so I do not need to rebulid/replace the motor after all. That makes me happy!