1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

electrical issues with used truck and plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kmoore, Oct 15, 2012.

1. kmoore

kmoore Junior Member
    from ontario

I just purchased a 2000 gmc sierra and found a boss straight blade to install on it. I hooked up everything according to the boss schematics and when i went to lift the blade the pump motor ran but didn't lift. I added hydraulic fluid and tried again. This time it began to lift but before i could get it off the ground smoke started rolling out from under the hood. Turns out it burnt off the small ground wire running from the battery to the frame. Is my pump motor drawing too many amps or what could be the problem?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Try the boss section. Lots of good guys on that thread

3. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Sounds like too much current. How small is "small"? Try hooking the ground to something that can take more current, like the main lead at the battery itself, surely the starter motor draws more current than the plow motor, if not, then there is something really bad going on with that pump motor.