1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

electrical issues with used truck and plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by kmoore, Oct 15, 2012.

1. kmoore

kmoore Junior Member
    from ontario

I just purchased a 2000 gmc sierra and found a boss straight blade to install on it. I hooked up everything according to the boss schematics and when i went to lift the blade the pump motor ran but didn't lift. I added hydraulic fluid and tried again. This time it began to lift but before i could get it off the ground smoke started rolling out from under the hood. Turns out it burnt off the small ground wire running from the battery to the frame. Is my pump motor drawing too many amps or what could be the problem?

2. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Sounds like you just have a bad ground somewhere.Check the bovious and make sure no wires are pinched or the insulation is wore off and you're making undesired contact anywhere. Check not only your plow harness grounds but the vehicle grounds as well. Make sure that you're metal to metal, and grind off any paint or rust to ensure a good contact. Also make sure that the screws that you mounted the solenoid with are also tight and making good contact, as thats what actually grounds the solenoid.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Bet you grounded the plow motor to the frame and not directly to the battery terminal, correct? Never ever do that. Go DIRECTLY to the negative battery terminal.

4. kmoore

kmoore Junior Member
    from ontario

I was just looking at the pump motor and have a question. The positive cable is attached to the lower side of the motor with a bolt and the negative is attached to the stud terminal on the top. This is the way the plow came so am I wrong assuming these are hooked up backwards?

5. mrwolf

mrwolf Senior Member

Just serviced mine and it is the opposite of yours and works fine. Thats interesting on the ground BB, I will have to check mine just to be sure.

Z