1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electrical help!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Kcon1661, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Kcon1661

Kcon1661 Junior Member

Western straight plow with four plug isolation module

blade will not lift, turn, no lights

all connectors are clean (3 plugs)

pump runs with a battery + to + on pump

both fuses are good, new isolation module and relay

interior control on, "OFF" light does not light

plow was installed new by Ford dealer on a 2006 F250

snow on the way, would greatly appreciate any help before another hit or miss and I go for a new switch.

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know if you have the western book the dealer gave you when they finish installing the plow.......Looks like someone forgot to hook up something, like power..

You said you have a "4" port mod, and I am assuming two cables. Cable (port #2) "vehicle lighting harness", and the "vehicle battery cable".

In the diagram check to see if the "red wire" is hook up to a pole (in your fuse box), for accessory (when the key turn on). Also make sure the "brown wire is hook up to your parking light (driver side parking light).

fh.jpg

The red wire hook up to the accessory, gives power to the controller. the brown wire hook to the parking lights, power the relay. If you have the manual for the plow, it will tell what wire go were..

Or you can bring it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it the right way...

fh.jpg

3. Kcon1661

Kcon1661 Junior Member

Thanks for your help.

I have 3 cables. I believe this is the wiring diagram Eg. I have the 7.5 and 15 amp fuse. Both Good. I am thinking the control fuses may be blown. Any further thoughts would be appreciated. I am enclosing the link for the diagram on page 25 which will show you how my plow works. thanks again.

4. twinman326

Here is the PDF for the 4port/3wire (page 3 show the mod). Read pages after that.

http://www.westernplows.com/pdfs/28561.04_052407.pdf.

Here is the "western electrical schematic". Take a look at pages 30-34. these are schematics.

http://www.westernplows.com/pdfs/22373.07_110108_for_web.pdf

To me it still seems like you don't have power. When you turn the ignition key "on", does the controller light up?? When (if the plow is hook up to the vehicle) you turn on the parking lights (this will energize the relays), you should have headlights on the plow?? (on page 29 electrical schematic )

Did you check the wires going to the "motor relay" to see if they are on correctly??

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Did you just have the truck wired at the dealer, or did you buy the plow from them too? Did you drive the plow home from the dealer or has this setup worked before?

6. twinman326

Good questions Repo

7. Kcon1661

Kcon1661 Junior Member

The plow and truck were bought new from the dealer. The plow has been used before for one season. There was no other need until this weekend. All the connections on the plow are clean including the ground. My son checked the red switch wire on the dash and the connection looks good. All fuses under dash look good. Still no lights or power to the blade. The pump solenoid relay on the truck is a tower as opposed to the round solenoid in the electrical sketch you provided. Light is out on the interior control.

Thanks for your help any input appreciated.

If the interior control switch is bad would that prevent the lights from working as well?

8. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

In your first post, you say new relay... did you just replace it for some reason?

9. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

do you have power accessory feed of controller?? Depending on where they hooked the wire into the truck at for an ignition feed it may have blown a fuse on the truck it self

10. twinman326

That just the way the solenoid look in the diagram..

The red wire (one from the controller) does not get hook to a fuse in the fuse box. There is a accessory pole, or hook up in the fuse box (the truck manual would tell you were it is on the fuse box). The red wire might have a fuse holder attach to it. If is does, check to see it there is power using a test light.

Red/green goes into port #1 and has a 15amp fuse. check to see if you have power.

Brown/red goes into the controller connector #4

Here is the schematic (black wire = joy stick controller. Green wire = hand held controller)

wiresch.jpg

Check to see if you have power to and from the solenoid (diagram)
    solenoid.jpg

Check the solenoid first with a test light to make sure there is power getting to it. If there is, either a jumper wire or a flat screw driver (jumper wire better) touch both poles to see if you get power to the plow. (see solenoid diagram)

Power need to make plow work..

Could be a bad harness in port #1

wiresch.jpg

solenoid.jpg

11. cubicinches

The small red wire with green tracer at the relay must be attached to the large pole of the relay which is constant hot (the pole that is connected directly to the battery) or the whole thing will be dead.

12. twinman326

Thanks cubicinches

He will see that in the solenoid diagram

He saying everything is hook up and grounds are good..Just no power

13. RepoMan207

from Maine

The plow is connected correct? I know it was before, but is it NOW? The light on the controller will not illuminate until the plow is hooked up.

Once it is hooked up make sure all connections are tight.

Double check your battery connections and all plug ins along the harnesses.

Now, where the control plugs into the harness under the dash, disconnect it. With the plow connected, and the trucks ignition in the on position, test the #4 terminal on the harness that is connected to the truck using a test light....

copy.jpg

If there is power to that terminal, then the controller & it's power lead is not your issue. You'll need to go back and track your battery connection to the ISO Module & motor relay. I would even go to the extent of replacing the motor relay again with a new style one this time. I know some may say thats crazy, but it's worked before for me.

If there isn't any power, then you need to track your lead wire off the controller to find where it is spliced / connected to. Check the fuse if so used, and again if it is plugged into the fuse box.

Running a positive jumper wire off a power source temporally to your controller lead wire will allow you to pin point or eliminate it as your issue as well.

Again, if there is NO power to the #4 terminal, then I would track down WHY they are not working as well. Look in your truck's owners manual to pin point the correct fuse, it may be that the control harness is tapped into that particular fuse using a pig tail fuse and it is blown.

Let us know were you stand after all of that. Good Luck

copy.jpg

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

....thats a multiplex system for a XLS / Wideout or a Xtreme V (and whatever Western's equivalent) :nod:

15. cubicinches

The #3 position (black/orange) should be a ground. #1 position (red) should be 12V+

16. twinman326

Repo question

terminal #3 black/orange should be to ground??
    terminal #4 brown/red should be for power ???

this is what showing on the schematic (post #10)

17. cubicinches

#4 is power out to the motor relay.

18. twinman326

That was figure out already..that why I went to the electrical schematic..

And it was for a two wire...He has a three wire..

19. RepoMan207

from Maine

:rolleyes: I was thinking one thing an typed another.

ACTUALLY, TEST THE # 1 TERMINAL. That will tell you if there is power coming from your control harness power lead via the ISO. Dis regard the #4.

20. twinman326

Then coming out of the mod(D) would be red/yellow??

No problem repo