1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electrical guru wanted

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by streetsurfin', Feb 4, 2004.

1. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I had an idea and was wondering if it was possible to do. Could a deep cycle battery run a lower hose heater for eight hours or so? A three battery isolator, power inverter, and maybe a battery heater would be used. Now throw a battery charger in there instead of the battery heater; would it run the engine heater longer and recharge itself?
  2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you are asking someone for the formula of perpetual motion:p

Just curious... What is your goal? What with the radiator hose heater and inverters and isolators and such?
  3. streetsurfin'

Yeah, it was more of a thought about how long it could sustain itself, than something I actually wanted to try. Purpose would be to keep truck warm without having to plug in to AC outlet, Still have juice from another battery to start truck.
  4. Plow Meister

So far, the best way to keep the truck warm is to get a remote start with a temperature sensor. When the ambient temperature drops below a certain level, teh remost start will kick on and warm the truck. I have it on my psd and love it. Kinda funny when I am in the "media room":rolleyes: watching a movie and my truck fires up for apparently no reason. Scares the dog sometimes:D
  5. Plow Meister

And, to answer your question, a deep cycle battery SHOULD keep a water heater going for a couple to four hours. Figure a typical heater is about 300 watts. If you try this you definitely would want to put an isolator on it. It would suck if all the batteries were dead from the heater going all night.
  6. streetsurfin'

I'm still driving a carburated truck so the remote starts out for now. And the stang's a stick, doesn't see winter service anyway.
    I guess thay would take a little getting used to. "Is someone stealing my truck?" More so for the pets who are used to greeting us at the door when they hear our vehicles coming home.
  7. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

The problem is that the inverter wastes enegry converting from DC to AC. So it would run the battery down. The more load you add to the AC side the more waste converting from DC.
  8. kjett

kjett Junior Member

I actually tried the battery to inverter to charger deal as a fun experiment with my wife's little brother (he's 10). I ran 2 deep cycle batteries in parallel to up my current at 12V, then ran an inverter to convert from 12V to 110, then plugged a charger into the inverter and tapped on to the battery to charge them back up. Long story short, it ran until the batteries were drained as the inverter sucks more juice than the charger puts back. :realmad:

In other words, don't wast your time just run an extension cord out to the truck and get a couple of those stick on heater pads. :nono: Works fine, last long enough time.
  9. Optical345

Optical345 Junior Member
    from NY

How much current does the heater draw? Do you know the AH of the battery? (not CCA) It can be calculated if you know these two values.
  10. streetsurfin'

Well, thanks for all the input. I do want to put a heater back in, but it won't be this route. I thought it would be interesting to know just how long it would run one. When I pick one up I'll post the values or figure it out and post what I come up with.
  11. djg0770

djg0770 Junior Member

you won't get much more than 80% efficiency out of an inverter, so if you figure that you have a 100 watt load on the 110 volt side, you'd be pulling minimum 120 watts on the 12 volt side, which will quickly reduce your battery a useless concrete brick...