1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electrical ghost!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by agrizman, Dec 31, 2008.

1. agrizman

agrizman Junior Member
    from Mich

Will it ever end! I was able to solve the broken frame problem, I posted pics of the repair in another post. Problem solved, BUT, I still have a ghost in my wiring SOMEWHERE. I have cleane all of the connections under the cover on the plow, looks great. I removed and re-installed the voltage regulater on the fire wall, thinking maybe a groud problem there, I added a ground wire from the mounting bolt to the neg. side of the battery. I was al happy until I plugged the plow connections back together and I still have the same problem. The smart hitch swith works sometimes and the up control to the plow is iffy at best. HELP, where do I look now? I have also cleaned both sides of the connections on the harnesses. Any ideas other than what I have already done. Thanks again for such a great site, Griz

2. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

I'm assuming this is a Boss straight blade? Have you tried spreading the power connectors apart? They tend to compress and not make good contact this will give you the intermittent problem you are talking about.

3. agrizman

agrizman Junior Member
    from Mich

Thanks for the reply. This is a 9'2" Poly Vee. Been there and done that on the power connections. I have cleaned them, spread them, & lubed them. I must have a broken wire in the harness. I hooked-up yesterday and beat the living crap out of my garage floor trying to make this happen again for a fellow who just knew he knew what was wrong AND, you guess it, it never failed yesterday. God must love me! LOL, Griz

4. boonman

boonman Junior Member

When the plow is acting up, is the pump engaging, and the plow not raising? Is the pump not turning on? Or does the pump turn on, and the frame not move? There is a few things that have to happen for the Smarthitch to flow fluid where it needs to go.

5. agrizman

agrizman Junior Member
    from Mich

From what I can tell you, when I hit the lift switch, you hear the pump kick on then nothing happens. Sometimes the switch on the tree (tower) will not engage when I try and hookup the plow, This switch will not respond either. The bad thing is that this is a sparatic problem. Acts like a bad connection or ground to me. Let me know if this answers your questions. Griz

6. Eliw

Eliw Member

I have a similar problem with my 9’2” V RTII. I think it is the plug on the plow side. Ware the wire go in it looks like they might be warn and something not connecting. When the plow decides not to raise I get out and wiggle the wires going in to the plug and can usually get it working. I just ordered a new pigtail that will replace that plug. (Only $38). If this is not the problem I will try the truck side. boss also makes a kit that comes with both sides pig tails, mounting bracket and dust covers. I am also replacing the solenoid ($29) just in case it’s that also.

7. boonman

boonman Junior Member

Sounds like there is a bad connection in the harness. The float circuit provides power to the tower switch for hitch activation. When you pull the cover off the pump housing, it is the orange wire. With the controller in float mode, you should see 12v+ at this terminal. However, there have been known 12V- (ground) issues along the way depending on the year of the plow. I would start there. And being that the plow doesn't raise sporadically, I would think that it is a ground issue with the solenoid(s), but I wouldn't rule out a bad connection yet at the the plug either. You need to break out a test light and have a buddy work the controller for you while you probe the solenoid wires for voltage at sdifferent locations. What is important to remember is to disconnect the red/black harness si that the pump will not engage while you are in between the truck and plow. (for safety). With the controller in float, Orange wire is 12V+. While pressing the raise button, the white wire should be 12V+.

8. agrizman

agrizman Junior Member
    from Mich

Well guys, I think that I may have found the wiring problem. X my fingers. I plowed last night for almost 6 hrs and had not a single problem. What I did was trace all of my grounds. What I found was that the voltage reg on the firewall that the battery leads connect to was not tight to the firewall. I didn't know if it needed to be grounded or not, so the dremel came out, removed a little paint, added some elec, grease, larger fender bolt and added a direct ground to the battery from the body bolts. Thus far, IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will keep you posted, Griz