1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electrical Control Box

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by markq, Oct 12, 2006.

1. markq

markq Member

Hey guys..... I need some ideas on how to setup a control box for the electrical in my truck....here's what I've got.

* FS Vector Lightbar that I want to run to a control box and hook up with relays. I wired directly to the battery and switches last year, but the switches got a little hot (melted one) so I figured I would setup a box with some relays this year.

I already have almost everything (I still need an HD relay to handle the 70A from the main lights) but I'm not sure what to use for the box, and where to mount it.

The only idea I can come up with for a box is a home electrical breaker box from Lowes, and then I'm not sure the best way to mount it; should I mount it under the rear seat, underneath the truck to the frame rail, etc.

Anyone else out there done anything like this that could maybe point me in the right direction? I'm open to just about any suggestion.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and help out!

2. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Find out from your local firefighters who they have install their emergency lighting. You should be able to purchase switch panels and relay centers from them...

4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Is it just me or are the AWDirect ones really expensive? I know they are always a little high, but that is what you pay for quality products.

5. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

i made one a few years back but if you dont know what your doin you'll burn your truck up ..... best advice buy a pro made switch box from your local cop car installers ..

6. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Go to www.lshlights.com , www.strobesnmore.com , there are a couple of more I just can't recall them. These are two very good places to find anything to do with lighting. Good luck.

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Try : www.Galls.com they sell everything needed for emergency vehicles / tow trucks--> systems, lights, controls, boxes, consoles etc.

8. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

Im just wondering on the amperage rating on your switches? If you are running too low an amp rating on your switches they will melt. I have been running my vector lightbar with just some hi amp toggles as long as I had my lightbar with no problems. I think those premade switch boxes are a waste of money in my opinion. I would just run some switches rated for the current as well as the right size wire and I dont think you will have anymore melted switches.