1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electrical Concern

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by rcnease, Dec 7, 2013.

1. rcnease

rcnease Member

I am hoping someone can help me with a potential problem. I am running a 1996 F-250 Extended Cab truck. It has the 5.8L (351W engine) in it. I have a 7.5ft Meyer blade on the front. I have started the truck and exercised the blade roughly once a week for the last month. I have done this from a park / idle position. Today, I was taking the truck to the house of the guy who will be driving the truck during storms and when I was getting ready to turn into his drive way, I turned the blade to a straight position. Here is the problem the amp gauge went from a normal position to the lowest position (8) and almost died. When I operate the blade in a park / idle state the motor is fine, the amp gauge is fine there are no problems. Anyone have any ideas what might cause this. I am thinking the Alternator might not be producing enough amps but I am not sure that really makes sense, but that is the only thing that seems possible. I drive a 1992 F-250 for plowing and my amp gauge moves around when I am using the blade, but it normally jumps up no goes down. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Is your tk a hydro boost brake system?

3. rcnease

rcnease Member

I am not 100% sure and it isn't at my house to look at right now, but if I remember correctly, I am pretty sure it is vacuum boost as I sort of recall seeing a vacuum line off of the booster to the engine block area.

4. dieselss

Ok. If it only happened the one time I wouldn't worry to much. And fyi its not an amp gauge....its a volt gauge

5. rcnease

rcnease Member

Yes you are correct, it is a volt gauge. Just curious since I haven't had the chance to test it out again, what was your thoughts had it been a hydro boost system? Thanks very much

6. dieselss

your p/s pump runs your brakes and your steering. you said you were turning into the drive and operating the plow. so you were turning, using the steering and the brakes, and the plow (at idle low amp output) so you were loading the engine. something had to give
    I would get the alt cked, just for grins.

7. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

I've never heard of a truck with an ammeter (the proper term for an "amp gauge"). Many vehicles have a VOLTMETER. This is probably what you are looking at.

Problem sounds like a bad alternator or battery. Both can be tested by bringing in to your local auto parts store.