1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electrical brake controller

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by SnoFarmer, Jan 27, 2005.

1. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I'm installing a electrical brake controller in a 98 2500. I know where all of the hook ups' are except the blue brake control wire, i have the blue wire at the plug end, but where do i find the other end (in the cab?) to hook to the controller?
    any suggestions?

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

If you have the trailer tow package there will be a plug under the dash to the right of the steering column. You will need to buy an adapter for the controller to plug into the harness since most all brake controllers are of generic species and not designed or any one specific truck. Basically, wire the adapter harness to the brake controller by matching all the colored wires together, find a good spot to mount the controller and get it secured up there, plug in the harness to the truck side plug, and off you go. 30 minute job. Piece of cake.

3. Firebrands

Firebrands Junior Member

If yours is anything like mine it won't be too hard to find. Pull off the knee panel under the steering wheel and get a flash light. You should see the blue wire tied up near where the harness wires come through the firewall. If I remember right it was even labeled as the brake controller.If it isn't there the next solution is to follow the wire from the rear to where ever they put it, but usually it is inside the cab. Good luck.

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

FYI JC Whitney has the controller plug to wire to your controller for under $10.00.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Thanks, I found the BIG BLUE plug labeled brake controller. :drinkup:
    You would have thought That I would have seen that when I installed the remote starter & the plow wires? :nono:
    My wife said, that I must have had a senior moment!!! :eek:
    I got an adapter plug, every thing works great...
    Again thanks,

6. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

I have a question as long as this came up. On my brake controller , just before winter and it got parked, my brake controller was over loading and making my trailer brakes surge on and off. really bad. Should i be looking at the trailer side or the truck side first. The brake controller is new/old. It was brand new going into my truck last year but is probably at least 6 years old , maybe more. the trailer is a 2004 roadmaster. I need to figure this out before spring comes and im pullin my trailer again.

7. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

check the plug for both the truck and trailer.. i usually find the problem is in the truck side plug.