1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electrical assistance needed

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by rbmarvin77, Oct 12, 2011.

1. I own a 2008 Dodge RAM 1500. I purchased a used Mid weight plow that came off a 99 dodge RAM 2500 it came with a 4 port module, solenoid, and wiring harness off the 99 Dodge. Shortly after purchasing the plow I purchased the correct mount and installed it as well as 2 new headlight harnesses from a Western dealer. I installed the wiring plugged in the controller (joystick) the red light did not come on when I turned the on/off switch on. I do have the red wire (in line fuse)running to ignition hot. I checked the power to the fuse and the fuse was good and I had good power to both sides of the fuse.
    At the controller I have a 6 pin connector. With the plow hooked up I have no power to any of those 6 pins. When I look at westerns website they only show wiring schematics for a 4 pin connector.
    I believe that the reason nothing is working is because I have no power to the controller. What am I missing here?
    I guess what I need for starters is a wiring schematic that shows the 6 pin controller versus 4 pin!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Here is a link to the Western electrical troubleshooting guide. Your system is on page 34 http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/22373.07_110108_for_web.pdf There should be 12V at the red/yellow wire of the control plug. It gets power from port / plug 1 of the Iso module. There is also a fuse (7.5A) that feeds the controller near port 1 of the Iso module, check that for sure. Another thing to verify is that all the pins in the Iso module are still there. Sometimes they get wet and corrode so bad that they break off in the plug. Make sure they are all still there.

When you get things right the controller backlight will glow when the vehicle ignition is on. That tells you that the plow is recognized as connected and all power condition are good. Then when you press the power button the controller will actually work and the red power light will come on.

Also note the black / orange wire that bridges pins 2 and 7 of the headlight plug. This is what tells the Iso module that the plow is connected. You could check those two pins of the plow side of the plug for continuety. If those two pins are not connected then the Iso module will not activate the controller.

Hope that helps....

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  3. 11 pin supplier info needed

The red/yellow wire did not have 12 volts. We were able to provide power to that wire and the controller did light up and start working the plow did work but no lights. There is a solid red wire that I connected to ignition power as the wire diagram shows. Do I need to provide 12v power to that or should it receive it from the 4 port module? When I check the pin in the module there is no power coming from it. It seems to work fine if I splice power to it.
    On a side note after we provided power to the red/yellow we still had a no lighting issue on the plow. We were able to jumper the black/orange wire on each side of the 11 pin plug in connector and it appeared all lights were working.
    I suspect the 11 pin connector is bad so I am thinking I should remove the earlier stated 12 volt power supply to the red/yellow and replace both sides of the 11 pin connector. Although not cheap I think this will fix most of my issues. Whats your opnion? Do you think I am on the right track?
    Also if anyone has any idea who has the best deals for those 11 pin repair ends please forward a website address or company name and location to me.
    Thanks mishnick for your input and continued support!

4. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

As far as I know there is not a repair end for the 11 pin connector. You have to replace the harness.

5. I was able to find an aftermarket repair end at the local auto parts store for abour $60.00. Thought that was a high price for one of two ends.

6. mishnick

As far as I know Western only sells repair kits for 3 and 7 pin connectors. Did you check the two fuses yet?

You can check if that black / org jumper wire is connecting by testing for continuity between pin C of port 2 (at the iso module) and ground. When the 11 pin plug is connected this should be a closed circuit. You may just have a bad ground wire between that plug and the black / org wire at the battery ground on your negative battery post. There may be a quick disconnect somewhere close to the negative post and it may be just disconnected. This would explain the lack of power on the red / yellow wire to the controller. If the black / org jump wire in the 11 pin plug does not complete its path to ground the iso module will not send power to the controller.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  7. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Your sure its the 11 pin?

8. Ref am I sure

I didnt pull it out of the package but I seen the end through the clear plastic and it appeared to be the 11 pin. Odds are after I do some checking on things tomorrow that mishnick was talking about I may still need to eather get some stuff from the auto parts store or go purchase that part if I do I will lets you know who the manufacture is and the part number. But I do know its not OEM.

9. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Do you have the small wire at the solenoid on the battery hot large terminal?

10. Mishnick, I checked continuity between pin C of port 2 on the isolation module (with harness for #2 port disconnected) to battery ground and I did have continuity. It appears that the circuit is complete. What do you think I should test next? I did check both fuses and they are both fine.

11. Western,1 I stopped back buy the local parts store and it was in fact not a 11 pin connector. He pulled it out and said it was a 9 pin (????). Parts guys go figure! There is a red wire with a green tracer (small gauge) attached to the battery hot large terminal at the solenoid. Any other suggestions?

12. mishnick

That circuit you tested for continuity is what tells the truck the plow is there and activates the iso module. I am beginning to think you may need a now iso module. It would be nice to try one, it's so easy plug one in just for a test but most dealers insist that if you open the package you own it. As for changing the 11 pin plug, I wouldn't bother because the important pins are working. The only other thing that would effect is the plow lights. Talk to your Western dealer and see if they have a used isolation module or perhaps one of their installers has one floating in his tool box for testing purposes. I used to keep one just for that purpose. There are only about three types that I know of and they are identified by a number and or the colour of the label. That is the logical next step in my opinion.

13. Isolation Module

Working on getting a isolation module. I will let you know how it goes. Hopefully that fixes the problem.

14. mishnick

I hope that resolves things for you, I know they are not cheap and most dealers say "if you open it you own it" so it's not returnable.

15. Replaced ISO module

So I replaced the isolation module with a new one. It made no difference. Any suggestions?

16. mishnick

Just had a thought... do you have three small wires going to your main power relay? There should be one small wire on each of the small lugs and then one very large wire on each of the big lugs. There should also be a relatively small red wire with (I think) a blue tracer going to the big positive lug that goes to the battery positive post with a short red wire. If this red / blue wire is on the wrong side, or the wrong pin of the relay the controller will not activate. It must be on the full time hot terminal. Depending on your system you may have two fuses near the four port module too. One is for plow markers and the other for plow signals. If that wire at the relay is not connected to a good, full time positive source these two fuses will not be powered. Just put a test light on the fuses, they should be hot on both sides all the time. Even thought they are for marker and signals if they are not hot the controller will not work. Check that out...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  17. Mishnick, Got the problem solved! 11 pin harness had some internal issue. Replaced it and all is well thanks for the assistance!

18. mishnick

Glad to hear it, just in time for some snow!!!