1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electric vs. gas spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Eronningen, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Are electric spreaders the way to go, the wave of the future? I wonder if we'll see gas spreaders after a few more years? I still have a gas spreader but with all the mickey mouse bs problems I wonder if the elctric ones will be the deal. Pros and cons? Users of both please comment
  2. IDST

IDST Senior Member

a buddy of mine picked up a western tornado last year. I was looking at one as was he and i did a lot of research on them. It took me some convincing because he had a gas before and didn't think the electric would hold up. But he absolutely loves it and won't ever go back. He runs about 9 loads per event and hasn't had a problem.
  3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I think we'll see gas spreaders slowly fase out completely.....Elec & Hyd units are the future imo. Every year more elec. vboxes, tailgate replacements,undergate units seem to come out and/or get bigger and better. The gas vbox market dosent seem to have had the advancements Elec has over the last 5-10yrs????....and its only getting better.
  4. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree, but I think as we get the even newer truck a lot of people will go to Hydraulic because of the PTO. I know ford has it but i think chevy or GM had it first.
  5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

For trucks bigger than 1tons yes. 1tons and smaller, elec. I wouldnt mind hyd on a 1ton dump, but I never see these trucks(new on the dealer lots) upfitted with it any more. And its not cost effective imo to upfit hyd after the fact when comparing all the great elec options out there.
  6. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

the only positive I see to gas is you can stick it in any truck, electric requires a power source at least
  7. snocrete

snocrete Banned

A battery. Pretty sure all my trucks have 1.
  8. alldayrj

so you just hook it up with jumpers?
  9. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I will never go gas. We have 2 electric v-boxes at work, and they are great.
    Now combine that with a poly material that won't rust.....
    I would be interested to try a Western or Salt Dogg the next truck, right now have 2 SnowEx spreaders. Love the 8500.
  10. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I thought it was good. :laughing:

It takes as much effort and money to install a gas unit as electric. If it's not the cables to control the gasser, it's the wiring for the electric.

I personally love the hydraulics on my truck and it would be a sad day if I had to get rid of it and the replacement didn't have central hydraulics.

But, If I had a dump with an electric over hydraulic system, then I would just get a 12v Under Tailgate, or 12v replacement tailgate spreader. Anything gas related would be last resort. Even then I would convert it.

11. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

I have a central hydo F550 but its not the one I drive or keep at my home. Its at my shop and goes on a different route so I too would need to go electric. Sounds promising that the electric is the way to go. Are electrics hard wired to the truck batteries? If so, is it one/two large gauge wires and than a seperate cable into the cab for controls I assume? The gas spreaders always have battery mounted by the units engine and than run just one cable under chassis into cab for controler...
  12. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Briggs and Stratton, gas powered, stainless steel, V Boxes. Not a single problem, not a single reason to ever switch to electric. Although I always re-wire my V Boxes on day One.
  13. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

On my swenson under tailgate the wiring is quite simple.2 -8 gauge wires from battery to back of controler.From controller to sander there's 2-10 gauge wires for the feed auger motor-1hp and 2- 12 gauge wires for the spinner motor -1/6 hp.Independant variable speed control for auger and spinner.My friend has a v- box ss electric that is wired as simple as it gets. 2 wires from battery to a huge amp on off switch,then 2 wires to sander motor.No speed control,adjusts flow with gate adjustment.
    Only advantage I see in a gas model is speed. When you have it on full throttle you can put out massive amounts of material.You can't drive quick enough to keep up with sander.
    Don't miss dealing with gas engines,carb problems.electric throttles,running out of gas,noise etc,Electric all the way!
  14. hiranger

hiranger Member

Been running electric v -boxes for 6 or so years.. Ran gas before that.. Much rather have the electric. Only advantage of the gas was a wider spread pattern. I still would rather have the electric !!
  15. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i have used all three and prefer the hyd and gas setups better.
    I've had problems with electric ones over time corroding(need cleaned all the time).
    my 2 gas ones always fire right up and have 1 plug to plug into the cab for the controller, the hydraulic required 2 hoses hooked up but is by far the most reliable.
    Plus, if you do have central hydraulics you can run the front plow,sander and in my case the side wing without any powerdraw and everthing is instant move/on.
  16. alldayrj

I was playing devil's advocate. Since I've seen more and more electric on here used in commercial applications I've been trying to sell my uncle on it. His gas spreader we run everything up the side of the truck and through the window.(not really a problem since we usually don't salt/sand until after the storm.) This way, all we would have to do if a truck went down is lift the spreader out and slap it in another truck or pickup and strap it down. Electric just requires a little more commitment to the vehicle unless you want to run it off batteries in the bed is the only con point I was making.
  17. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

There are no batteries in the bed.You run a wiring harness from your engine and cab under the truck and let it come up by the rear bumper.Your only source of power is from the battery already in your truck.So it's plug and play--that's it!!!!!!My days of screwing with no starts,linkages that don't link,and running out of gas are all over.Electric all the way.
  18. hiranger

hiranger Member

I can see hydraulic being the best, but I would as a whole have the electric over the gas
  19. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

I have had good gas spreaders and bad ones and considering I don't keep them around much more than 3-4 years I can't understand the stupid problems I get. The one I have now is on its 3rd year. Stored inside in the off season, kept in warm shop while not being used, never leave product in it, run non ethonal gasoline, keep all zirks greased and chains tight.
    Clutch freezes when its too cold out and try to start and run it after being exposed to the cold(10 degrees or less) for more than an hour, corrosion of small wires and breaking, sand in the carb constantly which in turn floods combustion chamber and hydrualic locks engine, weak battery, throttle contoller issues, etc. ugh
  20. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Just curious Eronningen ... what brand of spreader and engine you got?