1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

electric undertailgate spreader????

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by tripleplandscap, Jun 23, 2006.

1. tripleplandscap

tripleplandscap Junior Member

Are their under tailgate electric salt spreaders,for like dump trucks. All i have seen were hydraulic
    thanks..

2. tripleplandscap

bump bump. come on no one.........

3. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

4. tripleplandscap

thanks man. what do u think a unit like that would run me??

5. JD PLOWER

I talked to the owner of the company last week in Hartford (Sima) and according to him the unit retails for about 2900+ installation. He said if you have a rugby dump body it will install with no mods, but some other bodies will require some mods (the dimensions are a little different) but the price should fairly uniform. I might be in the market for these units come September.

6. tripleplandscap

ahhhh. a little pricy dont you think? I am looking for a unit that is around 16oo tops.Dont you think it would be cheaper to just get the hadrulics ran. and just get that kind of salter.??

7. JD PLOWER

Well when you consider the cost of central hydros (3-4k) its not as pricey as a hydro unit. Not to mention its the only one on the market as far as I know so you pay a premium to begin with. You can also transfer it to another truck without central hydro.

8. tripleplandscap

o wow i had no clue that central hydraulics costed that much. wow thank you for all of your great help.I'm going to look into it. See if there is any dealers in my area

9. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

I can tell you I own TWO of these and I can never even think of running ANYTHING ELSE second to Central Hydro

Be SURE you have the AMPs to run them. Search I have many pic up on this site

You can NOT go WRONG for the $3K

10. 4evergreenlawns

a couple of Pics for yeah

Check this thread

Downeaster dump insert and Tailgate replacement spreader

11. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Truck craft also makes a stainless/alumium electric replaceable tailgate spreader too. But its $4100.

I got central hydraulics and will only buy salt trucks set up this way. Undertailgates rule!!!!!!!!! Gas V-boxes SUCK!!!!!!!!:realmad:

12. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Ditto; the TrackCraft is worth every penney.

13. 4evergreenlawns

Downeaster

just a pic or two

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Thebosssnowplow

Thebosssnowplow Member
    from pa

The major difference between the truck craft and the downeaster is the spinner. The truck craft spinner is level at all times. You can run the bed up in the air and the spinner will still throw 40 ft. The other difference is the auger and spinner on the truck craft are ss. The motor that operaters the auger is enclosed from weather and salt. You do get what you pay for in this case but I know when the money just aint there. These products are a long term investment though.

15. Thebosssnowplow

Thebosssnowplow Member
    from pa

Actually looking at the photos the downeaster looks to be updated from the original. The spinner in the photo is varaible. Cool

16. 4evergreenlawns

The spinner does float and will level as the bed is raised.

I never measured but I know the salt flies off the spinner motor.

I am not saying the Truckcraft unit was not on the list when I was looking but all the extra electrical and issues that others were having at the time lead me to the more basic but get'er done design of Downeaster. Lets keep in mind this is coming from a guy that owns 4 Blizzard power plow with more moving parts that ANY other plow on the market.

With the being said, I TOO look at EACH AND EVERY puschase as an investment. I consider not only R.O.I. but also what is it going to take to keep the unit operational.

It really was a toss up between the TRUCKCRAFT and the DOWNEASTER as than and now I can justify the cost. Just TOO man bad stories about the Truckcraft getting stuck inthe raised position during the winter, lift cyclinder leaks, and controll box shorts.

17. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

How much was the dump insert and spreader?