1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

electric undertail gate/ replacement tailgate

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by elite1msmith, May 30, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

For anyone with experience using a dump truck style - Electric Tailgate spreader,

any brands you like , i know Snow Ex, makes a unit, Truck Craft,? what brands do you have experience with,

How well do they compair to a hydro? im sure the hydro has more power, but is it at least in the same ball park? wet salt/ frozen salt?

im in the market for a used dump truck , what size is unknown, it will be below CDL range, but might be around the size of a F 650 or so.....

some of the ones, i am looking at have no beds, no hydro systems,...and i dont want to spend alot of money on a used truck, i know ppl can spend over 10,000 just on the bed and hydro options

so anybody with experience using these electric systems, you advice is very appreciated

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Truickcraft under tailgate (tc-160) great unit

3. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Snow ex 2400 owner here. Love it! You can control your material rate from the drivers seat and see the material spread pattern.

Peterbilt

4. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

DLC has a truckcraft and he loves it! Brickman has a snow ex and they like thiers too but they wish they got a truckcraft because it doesnt rust!

5. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

My snow ex doesn't rust.

Peterbilt

6. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i have a gro-tech on a 5500 and like it pretty well. it has a 5hp gas motor and we get along fine with it

PJ

7. elite1msmith

from chicago

thanks for the imput, i was mainly concered with the tourqe, or power to them, will they break up hard salt, or jam up? the reason for the electric is simple, Gas motors mean pulleys, belts, chains, bearings, electrical clutches, battery and charging system-- all potentioal problems, there are to many differert componets that all have to work perfectly..

hydros are nice, but costly to add, on a truck that is used (like the hydro and dumb bed, might cost more than the truck)

8. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Lets see some pictures of that! That sounds sweet!

9. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

I have an Ez Dumper insert on my F250. If I take the tailgate off of that would I be able to put any spreader or are they only made for specific dump inserts?

10. elite1msmith

from chicago

all you really need is to measure how wide it is..... and you could build and weld brakets to work... althought might just be easier to go with what they have designed

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Downeaster makes a unit that works well with the EZ DUMPER. http://www.downeastermfg.com/tailgate.html

Pain though as it limits the use of the insert for other needs.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

http://www.truckcraft.com/productDetail.asp?id=17&cID=

Unless you have Central Hydraulics these are the choice.

13. elite1msmith

from chicago

yes both of thouse models was what i was looking into

couldnt decide between the two... im really liking that folt open quick access on the replacement model

14. snocrete

snocrete Banned

wanted to bring this thread back up becuse I am in the market for an elec tailgate replacement spreader to go on a 1 ton dump. I have been looking at the TC 140 & Snowex ploy elec. The quotes I have received so far are $4600 installed for the snowex, & $5600 installed on the TC 140. With just the few posts that I have read so far, both units seem to be good products, but any more input/opinions would be appreciated.....but I am having a hard time spending the extra $1000 for the TC, even though it looks :cool: being stainless & alum.?

15. jfjcontracting

jfjcontracting Member

Also curios about this , I have a 5 yard dump box that i was thinking of putting one of these units on. I have seen it done, i know they are not made for it, but i think i would work good. Im tired of spending out the ass for hydraulic and gas motors that dont work worth a $#%^

16. snocrete

snocrete Banned

FWIW, I scheduled my truck to get the Snowex poly elec. (tailgate replacement) for next week. I will post some pics when I get it done, and report how it performs for me this winter

17. jfjcontracting

jfjcontracting Member

Anyone else have this spreader, any updates.

18. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Which one are you asking about?....FWIW, I am picking my dump up 2moro from being setup with the new snowex......I will post a couple pics.

19. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

looking at a new one for a new 5yder we just picked up. Please post pics next week

20. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Just picked it up 2day. I'll maybe get some more pics this weekend.....we have a big weekend planned for doing some prep on other stuff and installing a new back plow on one of the other trucks.

09 snowex 001.jpg

09 snowex 002.jpg