1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electric Undermount tailgate spreader - Smith or Salt Dogg?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Pat Brigs, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Pat Brigs

Pat Brigs Junior Member

I am looking to rig up my 2005 Mitsubishi Fuso FG 140 with a plow and undermount tailgate spreader. I have received quotes for both Smith and Salt Dogg (Buyers) undermount electric SS spreaders. The Buyers is significantly less expensive. Any experience with either would be appreciated.

2. jcos

jcos Junior Member

Salt Dogg info

I looked at the salt dogg today as well. A friend of mine works at the supplier, he says they seem to be a decent piece of equipment dual motors, he says that some of the welds don't seem as clean, some of the covers for the motors the steel does not line up perfect, some of the steel seems be a little wavy. Just little things like that.
    But he says it's about $1300 cheaper if you can live some of the little imperfections.
    There is another brand i think Truck Craft, he said the motors were junk, a local company bought 7 of that brand and had to replace 5 of the motors for $750 each.
  3. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

If you do alot of salting you may want to look at stainless steel, what kind of price are you giving for each of those units
  4. jcos

jcos Junior Member

Salt Dogg

Salt Dogg Under Tail Gate Spreader i think is $3400ish the Truck Craft is about $1200-1300 more, both are stainless
  5. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I'm wondering opinions on these too. I am putting a V-box in my 3500 dump this year and just started considering one of these under tail gate options as well. I think the summer storage of the unit would be so much nicer, and so would the visibility when backing up.

One question for the guys using them though, when you use a V-box, the top screen filters out the chunks. But when using an under tail gate spreader, there is nothing separating out the chunks. Do they clog up often?
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No but if you do have problems they have a slick clean out. Just open the latches and the bottom opens.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

we use undertailgate spreaders....hydrolic....but the buyers one we have is not the same quality as a swenson or smith that we also have...big difference.....it still works just not built as good
  8. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

Just put a salt dogg on our 3500 dump and it looks awesome but it sits too low to the ground. When the bed is raised about 1/4 of the way the motor for the spinner is about an inch off the ground. We are now going with a tailgate replacement model most likely the tc140.
  9. cch

cch Junior Member

Salt Dog Spreaders

FYI, we just purchased and had installed two salt dog stainless steel all electric under tail gate spreaders, on two F450s'. We also purchased and had installed one v-box all electric stainless steel on a F250sd. We had the control box on all tree burn out. One unit on our F450 burned out twice and still is at the shop One actually was smoking!

The v-box seems to be working ok for now but the spinner went flying off when we turned it on and the drive inside the unit did not work.

The tailgate spreaders still have unresolved issues that are yest to be resolved. The spinner works but the auger does not. They were fairly less then other brands but I can see why.

I would not recommed the salt dog undertail gate. We are planning on retruning them next week if the issures are not resolved. I just saw that Sewnsen has a SEL electric. I know they may cost more but we cannot afford to be down.
  10. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We're just about to order them the SS under tailgate from Buyers, maybe we'll hold off now. Swenson makes a dual electric model?
  11. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

SnowEx makes an electric under tailgate spreader as well. Check them out. They are not the cheapest to buy but are well made and offer a great warranty.
  12. cch

cch Junior Member

Swensen undertailgate elecric Is $5,300 verses $3,300 for the salt dogg elec. I am returning our salt dogg. It's worth the extra $2k. Good luck.
  13. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

How about the snowex?
  14. cch

cch Junior Member

No experience with the snow x...swensen has been around for a while
  15. I'llPLOWYou

I'llPLOWYou Member

Check out a local dealer

I think you might find that it might be a fit for you. Not the cheapest, but has a great warranty and they have been around long enough to know how to build a spreader. We have been using their products for six seasons now.

Check it out and see if it's a fit for you.
  16. battags

battags Member

Same problem here. I even raised the mounting bracket for the spinner to the lower set of holes. I'm thinking that I will have to tap out another set further down to make it work. I will likely have to cut the top of the spinner shaft off though. That is the only problem I can see. I know one of my employees, or even me on a tired night, will bury that motor box into the ground by raising the bed too high.

As far as the system goes, I haven't used it yet. It is definately rugged and seems built well. Make sure you line it up perfectly before welding it on to the truck, though. I too was concerned about the gaps in the motor housings for the spinner and the auger. I sealed them up with silicone and it seems to be dry inside after I checked this past week.
  17. battags

battags Member

Something doesn't seem right here. You just bought all three and they all went bad before you could even use them? Are you sure there wasn't an install problem here?
  18. cch

cch Junior Member

Supplier did get them fixed, they stared control box was subcontracted...., however, they agreed to return all of them. We are going with swensen. About a grand more but worth it.
  19. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

Hope modifying it works for ya. We thought about trying to modify it and hope it worked but we didn't really have a backup plan if it didn't work and I didn't wanna be out the money for the salt dogg plus have to buy something else. We are waiting on a truckcraft tc140 to get here and then off to chicago we go!!
  20. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Whatcha going to Chicago for??

We tried ordering a swenson too.......closest dealer says 3 weeks till they can ship, aparently they're out of stock and have to build new orders. Looks like we might end up with another V-box.