1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electric Under Tailgate ?????

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by forestfireguy, Oct 27, 2009.

1. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

OK....We have decided to try an electric under tailgate unit from CPW, probably going to get the stainless one. I have used electric v-boxs and loved them. But we find a need for more product than a 4 yd vbox can handle on one route. It will be going on an under CDL 25900 GVW truck so we're thinking can probably take 5-6 yards weight wise and will thus extend our "range". My question to those with tailgate or integrated body salters is what do you line the truck body with, do you epxoy paint, rubber line, or just leave it bare. We usually paint the bodys in the spring after cleaning them up but I'm thinking maybe we're doing it backwards. Would an epoxy paint like something you'd use on your shop floor hold up decently, I'm not expecting perfection and fully expect to have to touch it up or repaint in the spring but thought having a barrier between the body and the load couldn't hurt. Maybe p******ng in the wind????
  2. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

A few people around me had those poly liners instaled in their beds. After they where installed they caulked all the edges and joints. They really like those liners!
  3. forestfireguy

Poly liner ? do you mean something like a Pu bedliner? If so do you have any idea where to get a picture or price on that?
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Check with an upfitter for UHMW liner.

Or just leave it bare. No salt stuck under it, no moisture.

You could have a stainless steel liner fabbed up as well.

Or you could leave it bare.
  5. forestfireguy

What do you do?

I was thinking of a stainless tub but we'd never get the end of the bed sealed well, and it would get trashed during the other 8/9 months of the year if we tried to make it permanent.

So my epoxy idea is lame??
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You didn't catch it? :waving:

I wouldn't say it is lame, never thought of it to be honest. I have a truck that spent it's first 10 1/2 seasons with an under-the-tailgate spreader. Has a few holes in it, but it's spread a LOT of salt. It now has a 1500 sprayer in it.

If I was using it for salt yet, I would have a poly or UHMW liner installed because of the holes. A lot of excavators do it anyways to help with sticking.

Be interesting to know how it worked out, but it would wear off I would think.
  7. forestfireguy

Thanks.........I'll look into the options.