1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electric to hydraulic

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Striper1263, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Striper1263

Striper1263 Member

Looking at buying a 2000 chevy 1-ton dump. It has an electric dump on it now and I would like to change it over to hydraulic (Central Hydraulic) so I can not only dump better but also run a spreader from it as well.
    Can anyone shine light on what I'm up against? Cost? Where to but the parts or anything else I need to know.

Your help is appreciated.

2. plowking15

plowking15 Member

Does the truck have a plow or any hydraulics now? If not you are going to need the pump,underhood or pto driven. You need a big enough tank to hold the hydraulic oil for all your functions. Valve bank to be mounted between the seats,sander control and dials ,hydraulic lines to front of truck,lines along fralme to tank,valve bank,lines to rear of truck for sander.I drive a F550 with central hydraulic,everything is tight where lines have to be routed. The truck I drive has hoses instead of hard piping,when one blows,I have to crawl under truck and run new hose from underhood to rear or to hydraulic tank. Truck is a PITA. You have to have big enough pipe or hoses so restriction doesn't slow down the function. A municipal supply or company that builds trucks for cities,towns may be able to help you. The truck I drive was done by lowest bidder[ town truck] so truck,body,sander,hydraulic system was not matched up properly. Hope you have better luck. plowking
  3. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Why cant you just leave the electric set up in place? It should have plenty of dumping power, i friend of mine has a 96 GM 1-ton and i have seen him dump 4 ton of stone with no issues. If electric was not powerful enough then you would not see dump trailers with electric units.

What kind of or style spreader is this?
  4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Guys have been quoted at 5-6 thousand to have a system installed on their truck.

If the electric still works, then stick with it for the cost factor. One sub of mine wanted to get a central system put in for the above price on his Kodiak.

He decided to stick with the electric system and bought a SnowEx replacement tailgate salt spreader to spread his salt after he got sick of his V-box. Says he likes it and hasn't had any issues with it.
  5. Striper1263

Striper1263 Member

The guy I am buying it from says it dumps slow. Maybe there is a problem with the dump bed itself.
    Just thinking that there are alot less moving parts with hydraulic than v-box.
  6. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

you could by a new hyd electric unit for around $500. or have yours rebuilt.

switching over to clutch pump will be costly.
  7. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

The speed of the dump may depend on the type of dump system the truck has and the size of the piston. The larger the ram/piston the more powerful but slower as the electric pump only has one speed. I myself would rather have a slow moving dump bed for more control. You could check to see if the electric pump has a screen that may be plugged but i doubt it has any problems. The electric unit really has fewer moving parts too. All you need is a battery, two battery leads and one hydrolic hose unless you want power down. Then you just drill a hole in the back of the cab for the controller lead.
    Much easier than installing a PTO, pto shafts, hydrolic pump and lines, cut a hole in the floor for the lever and or cable. Another plus is even if the truck for some reason does not run at least you can still dump the load.