1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

electric start

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jrm123180, Dec 5, 2004.

1. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

Has anyone ever put an electric starter in a vehicle with a carburetter engine? I know it says not to, but it also says only for use with automatic tranny's and I put it in my stick. Just curious, I love the one I have in my civic.

Steve

2. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Some brands make a kicker for the carburetor.
    It's kinda pricey from what I can remember.

3. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

I'll check that out. I'm looking for a cheap one though, like a wal-mart brand. Thanks

4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

It is not very viable with a carbed unit. FI is a natural for remote start. Split the difference, put in a block heater and keep engine warm and you will start easier with a carb and get heat a lot quicker too after start. Fairly easy to install too.

5. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

They say that because you have to set the choke that they don't work well I just put one on my 93" truck and love that my truck is warm when I go out to plow (4 times this year not a bad start) oh I paid $93.00 installed

6. tuna

tuna Senior Member

are not all starters electric. :D Havent hand cranked a chevy latley.

7. Tarkus

I have a old tractor that is both and I have hand cranked it at zero or below to a start too in just a few trys on a few occasions just to see if it would.

8. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Yeah and old brockways have air starters.............I know just havin some fun.

9. Tarkus

Take it one step further, I used to run a trackloader over twenty years ago with a gas pony motor that you started to crank over main diesel engine. They were nice in cold weather because you could motor the engine for a while with fuel shut off to heat it up a bit. Some old big JD tractors had pony motors too.