1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electric Spreaders??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Eronningen, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

2. RSE

RSE Member

Fisher Speedcast2....love everything about it. On and off all by myself in like a minute, no noise, weighs maybe 150lbs empty, easy to maintain, throws wet sand anywhere you want it, dry sand even farther.
    I don't mind getting out to fill her up too. Keep 1 yd of sand/salt in the 6' bed and add sand as needed. Stores neatly in my barn too.

3. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Thanks, I'm looking at the 1.5 cubic yard spreader.

4. RSE

RSE Member

I forgot to mention the Speed cast visibility factor....easy to see what is behind you. As for the 1.5 yarder, everyone out here has them and that says something. I just don't have the truck for one.

5. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

6. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

We use electric V-box spreaders. They work great, really no complaints. Anything in particular you were wondering about?

We run Smith spreaders

http://www.smithspreaders.com/

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I used a first generation PolyCaster for a few seasons. After the motor and controller were replaced in the first two storms it was a pretty reliable unit. Had an issue with the electric connecter that was partly due to lack of maintenance on my part. Overall, electric is quieter, easier, and more reliable than gas/propane powered small engines.

I would recommend Stainless over Poly because it's repairable.

8. bb45

bb45 Member
    from waverly

We ran 2 yard gas spreaders for years the boss didnt want electric now we have 3 electrics 1 2 yard and 2 1.5 yard still have 2 gas 2 yard fisher stainless 1 with no motor 1 working we keep for back up and ice storms. The electrics dont throw as much material we changed the gear ratio so the spinner would spin faster/throw farther. We dont throw sand very often had a huge load of wet crusher dust last year in the 2 yard elec. kept poping the 60 amp breaker i wired it direct to finnish. We had trouble with wet salt poping the 60s so we changed them all to 80s and no more problems. Gas is ok if the opperator can fix them but the elec. is idiot proof

9. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. I ordered a 1.5 yard Hiniker electric today. I have so many hiccups over the years with the gas powered ones. I am pretty good with small engines so I always work them out and get the jobs done but fear leaving it with employees. So I'm making the switch. I was basically starting the spreader engine when I'd leave my home shop each morning and let it run for about 4-5 hours.
    I can't wait

10. bb45

bb45 Member
    from waverly

congrats IMHO you will not be sorry The 80 amp breakers may void your warranty tho you may want to be carfull asking about them if your dealer is not the understanding kind lol Not familiar with Hiniker stuff not sold around here how much did it cost you. cheers BB and happy new year PS how pathetic are we hangin around here on new years eve