1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electric Spreader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gene gls, Nov 17, 2001.

1. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

At 5 miles per hour, how far will I travel to spread 1 yard of sand/salt mix? I added sanding to my list this year and bought a Downeast 1 1/2 yd electric spreader and would like to get an idea as to how long a yard of mix will last doing driveways. Thanks for your help.

Gene

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

That will all depend on your units apron chain speed and how open the material feed gate is.
    During one ice storm, I had to back up a town street that was closed due to ice and accidents. This was the only I could reach my account on that street. I went at least 1 mile in reverse and only used about 1 yard. I had the gate open about 1/2 way. the electric units due to gearing have very slow apron chain speeds, which allow for much better material control.
    Dino