1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electric Spreader mounted on ATV/UTV or lawn tractor

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Laner, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Laner

Laner Member
    from IA

I am looking for a good reliable, long lasting spreader for ice melt that can be mounted on my ATV or 3pt (Cat 0) on my JD lawn tractor. I started out using a cheap plastic walk behind spreader that lasted 1 year, then started using my Spyker walk behind spreader. This works well, but doing some larger parking lots and several condos where I think it would be easier to have a riding machine to spread the ice melt. May also be safer for the operator in regards to pushing the spreader on icy surfaces. Thought???

2. bigkid

bigkid Member
    from Gap, Pa

What kind of lawn tractor ? I mounted a snow ex 575x to a John Deere x738. I had a bracket made that allowed it to hang on the rear weight bracket. I have now upgraded to a John Deere 3039r and mounted the spreader to the 3 point arms. The 738 was a great set up, just wanted something with a loader.

3. Laner

Laner Member
    from IA

It would be mounted to either my X739 or X485. Both have 3pt hitches on them and I have 1 X739 that I could mount to the quick attach brackets. Did you have a blower or extra weight on the front to counter balance the spreader? Do you have any pics of your old machine you could share?

4. bigkid

bigkid Member
    from Gap, Pa

I don't have any pictures of it on the 738 but I do have a picture of the brackets if you needed to see how that looks. I wasn't comfortable with over 500 pounds hanging off of the cat 0 3 point which is why I hung it on the weight bracket. I went with the 575x because it has a small handheld controller that fit nicely in the fender mounted tool box. Yes I did have the 52 inch front mount snowblower for counterweight but you would also be fine with 4 suitcase weights especially if you mount spreader on rear weight bracket because it keeps it nice and tight to the tractor vs the 3 point arms hanging it further out. If you want to see the picture of the brackets message me with a number or email. Never could figure out how to post pictures on here