1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electric Spreader for Dump Bed

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rcpd34, Aug 6, 2004.

1. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I am looking to buy an electric spreader for my 1 ton dually dump. Any ideas? I don't want to mess w/a hydraulic system and I want to keep the bed free to haul snow if needed so a V box is out.
  2. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

3. PolarBear

PolarBear Member

just a suggestion,

you say you want to keep the bed free incase you need to haul snow... where are you planning to put your material for the salter?

I would think that it would be in the bed of the truck... no?

So effectively the bed isnt free to haul snow during a storm. What happens if you have to salt your acounts the day or two days after a storm ( when most haulaway jobs happen)

Besides... I would think that with a small one ton dump, you would be hauling forever with any good sized account.

my suggestion would be that if you have large accounts that need hauling, I would buy a V-Box for salting and make arrangements now with a Tandem or tri-axle dump truck owner or carting company to rent out their trucks and drivers if a haulaway is needed.

Thats the way most of us who need to haulaway and dont have the large trucks ourselves do it.

Besides do you want to be climbing in and out of the dump truck bed to load the spreader by hand? I sure wouldnt...
  4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Heron Cove PM

What effect does salt have on your truckcraft insert and also how does the 130 spreader perform. Sand,salt loading the spreader etc. A full operational opinion would be nice. Thanks Dave.
  5. Heron Cove PM

Loading the unit is pretty much done like a mini dump truck. We store product on the job site and other various locations and use either a backhoe or skid loader. If I am staying on site, I put a couple tons on the unit itself. We have a complex that is 80 acres. The insert holds roughly twice as much (comfortably) as my v-box did. I have beefed up springs, etc...

Depending on the moisture content of the product, we do sometime get "stickage" (is that a word?) I am considering putting a vibrator on the unit. I need to do a little more research. I'm not sure how well these units hold up under that kind of strain. I'm not sure I even have clearance to mount one. As of right now, to knock the load loose I have to tap the break hard or back up, coming to a sudden stop. Obviously, the drier the product, the easier it is to get it to the spreader itself.

The broadcast paddle speed, to me, seems a little bit slow. It seems I could have thrown product farther with my v-box than I can with this. I have learned to adjust my driving patterns to make up the difference. TruckCraft has informed me that on their newer units, they have a higher maximum paddle speed. That problem apparently has been fixed or remedied.

I love the quietness of the unit. I can't tell you how much better it is than listening to that stupid lawn mower engine running. Both electric motors seem more than adequate enough to carry the load with very little drain on the truck's electrical system.

The ease of cleaning the unit or popping the tailgate latches to dump off the rest of the product when not needed, is a phenomenal feature. I did have to make an overflow board that goes across the top of the spreader unit itself, because when I was raising the body, it was a little hard to determine when I was raising it too much and I would get excessive spillage over the top of the spreader itself. I guess, shorter barn doors would work as well.

I added work lights and spot lights not only for back up purposes, but to see the rate of product spread, etc...

Rate of product spread is very deceiving. Even-though it doesn't seem as though I'm putting down as much product, I'm hauling twice as much. When we checked our coverage rates, it's more than adequate. The coverage is equal or better than the v-box, but it doesn't seem we use as much product with this unit as we do with the v-boxes. Again, it could just be deceiving. Rate of coverage is excellent.

We predominately use salt. We don't like using sand. We have been trying to steer our clients away from it for some time now. I have spread a load of sand. The moisture content was fairly high, but the unit still performed quite well. There was a quite a bit more clean up to the unit, than there would have been if we used salt, but that is a given with any unit. The salt we used last year had some sort of treatment added to it that was NOT Magic Salt. This salt was pinkish in color and I did get some gummy buildup on the auger and paddle itself. It cleaned off pretty easily with the spray from a garden hose; however, it was a nuisance.

I have also since added an 8ft wide piece of rubber convey belt that hangs down underneath the unit between the truck and the spreader paddle. This is to keep material from collecting on the truck.

Sorry for the long post. I hope I have covered most of it. You can always go back here:

for pictures and other information.

Last, but not least, we are looking to put one of these units on our contractor's dump. Through attrition, we will be replacing all of our spreaders with these types of units. We will never buy another v-box again.

P.S. - As for the effect of the salt? No effect whatsoever; it is aluminum and stainless. The aluminum is starting to tarnish just because of general use. All aluminum bodies will tarnish. There isn't anything excessive as a result of the salt. -M
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
  6. Bolts Indus.

I thank you for your report. You have been most helpful. I have not used or sold one yet but plan to use one this winter.
  7. Heron Cove PM

No Problem.

COOL does this mean I get one of those new reputation things? ;) (jk)

Good Luck it's a GREAT product
  8. Bolts Indus.

Salt Storage.

Heron Cove

How do you handle on site salt storage?

Thanks Dave.