1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

electric side to side

Discussion in 'Snowbear Plows' started by miketonon, Nov 11, 2010.

1. miketonon

miketonon Junior Member

Has anyone rigged anything up? It would be nice to stay in the cab and be able to move the plow side to side.
  2. 1PapaDock4

1PapaDock4 Member

There's a picture of how someone did it with another winch in one of the threads.. I'll see if I can find it when I can get to my computer later.. Til then, try searching through the threads, other then that, I'm useless for the topic haha
  3. acornish

acornish Senior Member

agreed that would be a nice feature to have--- im considering modifing the winch mount and use a meyer e47 pump -- (i saw somewhere a guy who used a western)-- then cut and wel brackets for small rams to angle
  4. Snowman21

Snowman21 Junior Member

5. acornish

acornish Senior Member

interesting -- u might be onto something here
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

an electric trailer jack. you only need one mounted like Meyer does on their new home plow. Would require a little messing with the control switch, but they are low amp draw and surely strong enough.
  7. acornish

acornish Senior Member

would the electric jack hold up in the snow and ice though
  8. dgresetar1

dgresetar1 Junior Member

I did put another winch to control the angle about 4 years ago. It's been awhile since I've been on the site but about 3 plow seasons and still going strong. Took me acouple of tries to get one that worked. Its crude but works. No pictures yet but can be supplied. Look under dgresetar with the 1. I dont remember if I put the old,didnt work design or new,been working for 3 yr. design.
  9. ranger88den

ranger88den Senior Member

Pics please.
  10. dgresetar1

dgresetar1 Junior Member

I hope the pics will happen. Here they are.

Plow pics 001.jpg

Plow pics 003.jpg

Plow pics 012.jpg

Plow pics 011.jpg
  11. dgresetar1

dgresetar1 Junior Member

More pics. I know kind of hard to see details but to cold out to take it apart for more detailed pics. Any questions just ask.

Plow pics 006.jpg

Plow pics 007.jpg

Plow pics 008.jpg

Plow pics 009.jpg

Plow pics 010.jpg
  12. skidoo

skidoo Member

Okay I'm missing something and can't tell from the pictures. How do you unlock the plow so it pivots? Or does the cable that moves the blade hold it in place and you don't use the lock anymore.
    I was thinking. If I had a winch hooked up to release the lock you could bump the plow and turn it till it locks again. Just a thought.
  13. dgresetar1

dgresetar1 Junior Member

I know it's hard to see in the pics but the entire pivot lock pin and arm is removed and the 2nd winch holds the angle. When used I just can't slam into things. The cable is the weak link. If hit hard the cable will snap. I perfer it breaking rather then somthing else. But it does work and will hold.
  14. Tirioloservices

Tirioloservices Member

......._hey how did u get the winch withh 2 cables??? Can u email more info or call me this is a great setup.and have a question bout the lights....i understand the pulley system but the two cables?? And mounting?? Pleasse let me know thanks....tirioloservices@yahoo.com
  15. skidoo

skidoo Member

Looks to me as though it's one cable run arond the spool and attached to each end of the plow. Would be nice to know if this is how it's done. Not sure I like the idea of it not locking in place.
  16. MBrooks420

MBrooks420 Member
    from Erie PA

I've been toying with the idea of using either a small pneumatic cylinder, or a heavy duty electric actuator to pull the locking pin. Then if you pushed the plows side against a bank it would angle that way, and then lock it when it hits the hole. My first idea was much more crazy, and involved an clutch pedal setup from a 5 speed conversion I was going to do on my last Explorer.
  17. acornish

acornish Senior Member

wow interesting setup -- i dont think i like the idea of the plow moving though if you push hard or hit something, but Degrestar1 says it works good for him, i will not not knock it. i am tryn to work on a ram version of a mod using the moose rams, since i am modifing my mount to use a meyer pump anyway. so i will see how it works out, and let you all know ( it hasnt really snowed hard here yet so i will let ya all know when i get to try it out --- i am waiting for new camara for X-mas then will post pics)
    wife said i cant have it till xmas
  18. skidoo

skidoo Member

Would love to see your set up.
  19. dgresetar1

dgresetar1 Junior Member

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I drive a truck for a living. Don't get home all that often. On the cable, I used one piece of cable got the half way point and started rolling the one end over the winch barrel then the other end under the barrel. When I angle the plow one half unwinds from the winch while the other half rolls up on to the winch. I'll be home for the holidays ,I,ll try to get more detailed pics of the mount and anything else you may want to see. The plow is off the truck now so it,s alittle easier taking pictures of it.
  20. Kouski

Kouski Junior Member

I bought a trailer jack today. Storm hits Thursday. I'll let you know step by step how it works... Starting off with a BB200 on a 93 Chevy K1500.