1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

electric sanders?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by wall's, Oct 14, 2002.

1. wall's

wall's Junior Member

Does anybody out there have an electric sander such as the downeaster? Can't decide on electric or gas? Any suggestions
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I converted a gas spreader to electric after an incident with Downeaster. It is a 8ft model that I cut down to run on my Toyota. The conversion saved me some weight and allowed me to better balance the spreader.

I have seen no real drawbacks. It is quiet, no maintenance and easier to control. One switch for power and then a simple speed control.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2002
  3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I have a smith electric unit, very similar to the downeaster model, and I wont go back to gas again. No maint issues, and no engines to worry about. Current draw is less than the headlights.
  4. Taconic

Taconic PlowSite.com Veteran

We have 2 electric sanders and we like them alot more than the gas versions.Both units are the Downeaster 1.5 yard 8ft units.No headaches,easy maintenance(none) and they start everytime
  5. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Electric sanders sound interesting. I am looking to purchase a new one this year, any links please?

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

7. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

I talked to Downeaster yesterday.The largest electric unit they make is 2.5 yards add another 1/2 yard mounded so 3 total.

The Downeaster only comes with an on/off switch no variable speed.They also told me you must drive slower about 4 or 5mph.
    I reminded him we could adjust the flow with the door and he agreed that we could probably drive a little faster.

I still think electric over gas is best.
  8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

And you can drive faster than 4-5 mph. Worst case I just go over an area 2x for full coverage. The apron chain speed is real slow 50-1 ratio, compared to like 25-1 for gas powered units. However i find that I use alot less material than in gas units,and get the same results.
  9. Taconic

Taconic PlowSite.com Veteran

I gotta agree with Dino as we use less material with an electric as the ratio is half that of a gas version.And yes you can drive faster than 4mph and still get good results.We just bought 3 more for some of the malls we are doing this season.The dependability of these units is stggering compared to the gas.
  10. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I like the procaster hopper from fisher .but wish it was in an electric model.Be nice to just dump the left over than have to spin it out.
  11. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

I talked to Costal Metal Fab about the Electric Downeasters.

Start up amp draw is 60 amps, drops to 40 amps while running.

There is an option for $100.00, that has a discharge chute so you can empty the hopper with out having to run the spreader to "throw" the sand out.

The rep. I talked to is emailing a list of distruibutors to me, if any one would like a copy of it send me an email.
  12. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

I received an email today from Dave Skaling regarding dealers.

Sorry to say he did not send a list of all the distributors for the electric sanders, but I did recieve one distributor closest to me.

Christensen Power Equipment
    9500 W. Manhattan - Monee Rd.
    Frankfort, Il. 60423