1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

electric sander

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mike custom, Feb 25, 2010.

1. mike custom

mike custom Junior Member

Im looking into getting a buyers saltdogg 1.8 yard stainless sander thats electric. Ive never used an electric sander, so what are it's up and downsides? I would think that its pretty simple to just change an electric motor as opposed to doing any sort of intricate maintenance on a gas motor? are they powerful enough? thanks for the input guys!
  2. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Electrics offer the control of a hydro, but not quite the ultimate power. In trade, you don't need that pesky several thousand dollar central hydraulic system. :D

IMO they are the shape of things to come, although I tend to favor the newr auger designs over the old chain conveyor (which the unit you mentioned is), as it seems to be a little less maintenance intensive and also does not deposit hardly any material in the front of the unit as conveyor fees often do. (not a huge deal, but worth mentioning) I also think that augers offer a significant mechanical advantage and ease the burden on the feed motor.

Only thing I would advise is to look into the 2 yard poly unit over the 1.8 stainless.

Good luck!
  3. gamberbull13

gamberbull13 Senior Member

I have the two yard poly and have been really happy with it. powerwise its pretty good, ive seen better but i can throw atleast forty fifty feet and thats about as wide as i can see in the mirrors anyway