1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electric salters

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by xtreem3d, Nov 26, 2005.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

hi guys,
    this season i want to tryout an electric v-box salter. there is a company out of NY (i think) that has been making them for years but i have googled my butt off and cannot find them. thought it was something like smithbuilt, smithy ect. can anyone help OR can anyone who is using a 7-8 foot v-box electric salter comment on how they compare to the gas versions,
    thanks
    steve
    GROUND EFFECTS LLC

2. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

website

www.smithspreaders.com, I have an old v-box from them (prob-7-8 yrs old) and it works flawlessly. No more screwin around with gas engines in the cold weather, just flip the switch. Good Luck!

3. little pat

little pat Member

With the Smith Spreader you have, is the spread width comparable to a gas model and have you had to replace anything on it like motors or chains.Thanks.

4. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I'm going on my third year with my Downeast 1.5 yard electric. No problems yet. Flip the switch an go....the slower you go the more material you put down. Adjust your side panels for width of coverage.

Gene

5. xtreem3d

guys,
    thanks for the replies, can't believe google couldn't find that. one more question...say you loaded the salter at the beginning of the snow( maybe for weight ect) and wanted to spread salt at the end of storm, after having driven the whole night and compacted the salt do you have any problems getting the electric motor to start up the conveyor? i guess that's my biggest worry that it won't have the "torque" to start the conveyor,
    thanks,
    steve

6. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

My Smith already had a brand new motor on it when I bought it, and it has a rubber conveyor belt to move the salt instead of the chain. I havent had any problems spreading after 3-4 hours of plowing with salt in it.

7. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I have to depend on my landscape yard supplier for my materials. I usually keep some material in my spreader all winter. I have tried using straight salt but have had it freeze solid due to hot-cold sweating. I also keep a good cover over the top to keep the load as dry as possiable.I run a "hot" mix now, about 50-50 sand salt, and have not had any problems other than "bridging" in the hopper. I flip the switch now and then to spread some material to relieve the bridging and compacting affect. I thought about adding a small viberator to the frame of the sander but have heard bad comments about damage to the hopper.

Gene

8. xtreem3d

i didn't realize it didn't use a chain, i assume the belt is soild, maybe 12 or so inches wide? are they all like that?

9. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I just bought a new snoway electric and I hate it. I am bringing it back to the dealership tomarrow so I will see if they can do anything before I come to any conclusions.

10. xtreem3d

what's wrong exactly?

11. MJM Landscaping

from Maine

The motor wouldnt move a whole load of salt sand. I hadto dig down to the conveyor to get it moving, I have to spin it by hand to get it moving after that. I think the motor is junk.

12. xtreem3d

if you don't mind i'll check back to see if your motor was the problem. like i said in an earlier post i'm most worried it wont move a full load of salt. ( but other have said thiers works fine, hopefully you just have a bad or weak motor)
    steve

13. MJM Landscaping

from Maine

Ya Ill let you guys know tomarrow night once I go to the dealer and talk to them.

14. xtreem3d

were you able to find out anything?

15. MJM Landscaping

from Maine

Well te mechanic tightened the nuts on the motor posts, then loosened them and the negative pole was loose. I dont know if it was like that or if he did it. Anyway they gave me full refund and I bought a 8' stainless snoway with a 10.5 briggs on it. This one can hold more material too!!

16. Bob Church

Bob Church Member

Omega II Spreader Dual Controller

Check out the Omega II if you want to add power and an automatic auger jam clearing feature to your two stage (spinner and auger) electric spreaders. Imagine, never having to unload your hopper by hand to clear a jammed auger! The price is right too.

www.karrierco.com

Kind regards,

Bob Church
    President,
    Karrier Company
    Ph: 800-709-4434

17. snowtime

snowtime Junior Member
    from Ohio

Do a search on the Salt Dogg, I haven't read anything bad about it. It also has automatic auger reversal. I haven't tried one yet, but I saw a demo. www.saltdogg.com

18. Bob Church

Bob Church Member

Auto auger reverse.

Like I said this is the only controller with an auto auger jam clear (reverse). Salt Dogg comes standard with this controller.