1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

electric salt spreader motor problems

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dlcs, Dec 16, 2010.

1. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I got a Buyers salt spreader and it stopped working this morning. I was thinking it was just a ground issue since it got where it would only turn slowly before it stopped all together. What I found out is that if I tap on the motor housing, it would take off and run for quite awhile before stopping again. I've never had one of these motors act like that, what would cause this? Usually I have only had to replace the motor if the shaft totaly locks up or the motor just quits altogether.

2. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

just had one do this in the middle of salting a lot..it's the motor. you need to replace the motor

3. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

look for it on E-Bay they have them pretty cheep on there

4. Piersons LS&L

Piersons LS&L Junior Member
    from WV

Ive heard from some folks that the ebay motors are junk.. what makes these different than say I buy one from my local parts store..?