1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electric salt dogg spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jake2333, Oct 20, 2009.

1. jake2333

jake2333 Junior Member

I am looking at a salt dogg spreader and am undecided to get gas or electric. I am looking at the 2.0 yard capacity. I hear stories of having problems with gas engine but also am concerned about electric and the drain on battery/alternator. Please let me know your thoughts or experiences! Thanks.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Once you go electric you'll never go back.

3. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

We just put a shpe2000 in the 02 gmc and I really like everything about it so far. Easy to hook up, not that heavy, fits in the truck with my tool box. Can't wait to use it!

4. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

On my 4th winter this year and thus far shoved "roughly" 180T of sand/salt mix and straight salt through her and i just loaded it up the other day to make sure everything worked pre season and looks like she's ready for another round:)

Plus-
    cheap
    light-i made a cheesy 2x4 and plywood stand with rails so i can push it into the truck, push it off the truck all by myself so loading/unloading is under 5 minutes
    bullet proof- thus far i've had zero issues (knocking on wood)
    Good spread pattern for what it is, kind of favors the driver side though
    Design- i like i still have ample space in front of unit (1.5yrd) to put single stage blower, shovels, ice breaker, bagged salt and if i'm feeling really crazy one of our walk behind spreaders that i can just fill by tipping up the spinner assembly.
    Love the removable chute/spinner since i tow alot, and usually once i load this thing, it stays in all season.
    Nice tarp, easy to install, nice straps that come with it to tie it down, super easy to install wiring- 2hrs i was back on the road
    If a jam occurs, it'll usually clean itself back out
    If jam wont work itself out, i carry a large wrench to stick on the auger's built in nut to wiggle it free again...only had to do this twice though in 3 years.

Con's-
    mainly running damp sand/salt i get from the quarry and they're pile is 5 stories high so nothing is covered, so bridging is terrible if you drive around all day with damp mix running the vibe is a MUST
    Figuring out proper spacing for trap doors over auger so materials flow without clogging up but not so small it bridges
    dry salt flow with no vibrator, BUT all our damp sand/salt mix has to be vibrated non stop
    Some guys complain about visiblity, but anytime i haul something this big i figure visibility is going to be zero and that's what mirrors are for...so kinda like guys buying big trucks and complaining they dont get 30mpg...seems obvious to most, but the visibility seems to be a "problem" for quite a few guys LMFAO!!
    I wish the weight was centered more over the axle, it's very biased behind the axle so the truck really feels the load...kinda like massive tounge weight towing a tag trailer.
    Wish it came with a "light" provision so a guy could have a plug and play all in one unit to see the material being spread.

Overall i'm more than satisfied and am considering buying another one and rally going after spreading accounts vs plowing since there's alot more money in spreading than plowing with no wear and tear on the truck. It took me the first season to figure it all out, but that was also my first season really doing any sort of bulk spreading, everything before that was tailgate spreader so i learned about not leaving material in there to freeze. I think you'll be very happy with it, overall everybody that's bought one loves it and this is why i bought one, since everybody raved about it, and now i am just as happy as they are.:drinkup:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  5. jake2333

jake2333 Junior Member

You have electric or gas?

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

He has an Electric Poly SHPEXX00, with an auger there is also the 9244SSA a conveyor type two motor electric in Stainless Steel. Heavier but a big improvement over the gas drives.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009