1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electric quick connect question

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by dave_dj1, Feb 4, 2012.

1. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

2. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

well after some digging I found that they are for crimping and the tool to do this size is super expensive! $260.00 :mechanic:

3. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

I looked into this a little while back as well till I saw the price on the crimper. Must be gold plated

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i solder them.
    just because they say they are crimp connectors does not mean you can not solder them

6. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I've done them with a vise or vise grips also.

7. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

B&B, have you used one of the hammer crimpers? Instead of hammering I wonder if I could use it in my press?
    thanks,
    dave

I have a couple op pairs of old bolt cutters, hmmmmmmmm, grind them to conform and use them as a crimper? We shall see!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  8. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

I have used the hammer crimp tools in the press and it works well, if the cable of off the truck! I like the idea of grinding the bolt cutters. Just make sure you get the opening the correct size, I have seen so many loose crimps, makes life difficult sometimes.

9. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

i crimp, solder, and moisture proof heat shrink. o.... and dont forget to add dielectric to the contacts :)

10. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

i have soldered them with no problems and to crimp them all you need is a BLUNT chisel or even a vice, when i used them i would crimp and solder them, if you crimp them use die electric grease.i only used them on electric lifts that were inside, i don't know how the plastic will take sub zero temperature over a period of time(it could become brittle and crack)

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I highly recommend solder and heat shrink. You can use a hammer style crimper (yes they work in a press) but you will get less corrosion and better contact with solder.

12. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I always use dielctric grease. I've seen the debate on solder vs crimp in another forum, I suppose for as little as this will get used soldering should be fine.
    thanks guys,
    dave

13. acornish

acornish Senior Member

ok we use those conectors on all our tow trucks for the jumper cable conections--- all we do is put in a vice and use a blunt chisel to crimp one side then heat shrink them-- as far as corrosion and cracking from cold we have had no problems and some of our trucks are 10 yrs old