1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electric of gas v box spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gkaneii, Dec 5, 2011.

1. gkaneii

gkaneii Junior Member

I am about to purchase a V Box spreader and and looking for some input on gas vrs electric.

I have one large lot other wise are typical small business lots....

I am planning on running a sand salt mix. But not locked in on that.
  2. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Any more specific advantages? Looking for input from someone who has made the switch from gas to electric....no issues having enough power? No corrosion problems? The.majority of our gas spreaders (7) are getting to be in about the 3yr old range and all seem to be developing problems with starting, etc
  4. gkaneii

gkaneii Junior Member

thanks for the replys,,,, I was wondering as well about the power of the electric,,

Also what are advantaged to poly other than the weight?
  5. LaytonTruck

LaytonTruck Junior Member

Poly is less weight and the hoppers will not rust out in time. Still have the chain/auger and bearings that are prone to rust. S/S is heavier doesn't rust still same problem with the chain/auger and bearings. But the first time the loader operator hits the poly tub loading it,
    Well that will make you cry ; ) Poly spreaders tend to run more than S/S

Just remember the key to a well working/long lasting sander is Maint Maint Maint Clean them out after each storm and grease

Good Luck!!
  6. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I have an air flo 1.8 . Its not as power full as the gas spreaders,But Its so nice just to turn the Dial and that's it. No playing with gas ,no check the oil All the other fun things that go with a gas motor. I want to replace my other one with an electric or switch it over. Its so nice not to have to play with it all the time. Just plug in and go.
  7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I love our DownEaster (poly, electric) it throws salt just like any gas or hydraulic spreader does. They all have their issues over time but I think an electric motor is more reliable down the road and cheaper to replace. They all have the same style bearings that need greased, same drag chain that will rust but at least at 4am I don't have to worry if it's going to start or not. If you had a heated garage to keep it in a quality gas motor, maintained right will still last for a few years before any real issues. Time will tell with ours, it was new last year and we ran about 150 tons through it with zero issues. I think gas v box spreaders are becoming a thing of the past, with reliable electric motors and hydraulic becoming more available.
  8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I'm no spokes person for DownEaster but I think they have the best thing going as far as electric poly spreaders. Believe me, I would say it's a piece of junk if it was but I can't. I've seen Buyers, Blizzard, Fisher, Western (yeah all the same) and AirFlo's electric spreaders running but they just don't seem to have the power this thing does, it will throw salt 30 ft to either side, plus, I guess next year they're making a dual lid for it which will be sweet.
  9. jsyl7

jsyl7 Junior Member

i have 2 yard air-flo gas spreader.....its terrible ill never buy a gas spreader again. almost every time i go to turn it on its another issue and its only 2 years old and very well taken care of. i used a poly caster borrowed from somebody last year for a couple storms and it was awesome to just turn the dial and thats it as quigley said. id only buy electric spreaders from here on out.
  10. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Weren't you the one complaining about how downeaster's service sucks? Couldnt get a return phone call from the factory?

I will agree with the rest. ELECTRIC. Get an electric spreader...Take a look at Smith.