1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electric Issue When Plowing

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by famouslee99gt, Sep 17, 2007.

1. famouslee99gt

famouslee99gt Member

I have a Meyer ST 7.5 on my '99 Chevy 1500. I have had the issue when going to raise the plow, it will draw a lot of power, sometimes killing the radio. I am debating on adding strobes before this winter, but I'm not so sure with my power issue. I know a larger alternator would benefit me. I have heard of someone putting a capacitor on their truck before and that helped and just remaining with the original alternator. Does anyone have any inputs?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

First clean all of your electrical contacts/ plugs/ grounds/ Positive/ and all of the cables all the way from the ALT to the plugs for the plow and the connections to the plows electrical connection on the motor, next have your battery load tested.

What size is your Batt. have you replaced it lately

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  3. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

Do you have the snow plow prep package? If not, you'll want the higher amp alternator that comes with it. Snofarmer's on the mark with the connections, and the battery. Get the highest CCA battery that will fit in your truck, it's worth the extra bucks!:salute:

4. famouslee99gt

famouslee99gt Member

Last summer, a couple months prior to even buying a plow, I had replaced the battery, with one actually smaller than what is supposed to be in there. At that time, I had no intentions of plowing. I'm going to look into a larger battery and possibly search for an higher output amp

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Unless you are plowing lots or have a lot of drives right next to each other the stock alt will work just fine. Especially for personal use.

If you plan on plowing a lot then after you clean your connections and get a larger Batt ,
    then I would look into getting a larger ALT.

All you may need is a bigger batt, try to get a 900cca or a 1000cca Batt.

6. famouslee99gt

famouslee99gt Member

I asked our battery at supplier what the biggest battery was that would fit into my truck, and they made the suggestion of running a dual battery setup. They say that putting a bigger battery into will only temporarily fix the problem, pretty much be putting a bandaid on the issue. I can get a diesel aux batt tray for approx. $20, an isolator for $35, and then a battery for $65-70 and then misc wiring. Then I will just continue to use the stock alt.

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Sounds good but ditch the isolator that is for a camper.
    You would still only have one batt powering your plow
    I run Dual batts a lot of guys on hear do also.
    You can do a search on duel batteries....
    you will get a lot of returns...

This way your plow will have more than enough available amps to make it work effortlessly and your lights will not dim.

She will start easily on cold mornings with the duel batts( with out the isolator)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  8. Tuxx

Tuxx Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

I plowed 20 yrs with dual batts,I built a truck just for plowing to fix all the stuff that is wrong.I had 2 optima batts,isolator,0 gauge welding cable,140 amp alt.I also had a meyer plow,1 batt was for the truck,1 batt was for the plow.I used this truck for 8 seasons and never had a issue with anything electrical. Good luck.

9. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Think of your battery's as stored power. Do I need to save one ? No not for a plow truck, Isolator's do this. Duals hard wired together gives you the capacity you need for short bursts, then the alt. recharges/catches up because you have extra capacity. One battery gets run down much quicker then two. A plow motor or salt spreader is not a trolling motor that runs continuous, that you need to isolate so you can still start your motor.
    All diesel trucks come with duals with no isolator, so you get maxium power for a short burst. You dont need to save one just in case.
    If you do put duals in make sure there both the same battery, preferably both new. Your setup will only be as good as your weakest battery other wise. One will drain the other down if it is smaller or older.

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You can buy off the shelf alternators to fix the problem. Most alternators put out 1/3 of their rating at near idle. A place plow trucks live at. Headlights 14 amps, beacon 5 amps,heat 5 amps, cell phone 1 amp, soon your on the negative side of the system.
    Put the biggest battery you can in and upgrade the alternator. You will need to upgrade the wires from the alternator to the battery when you upgrade the amps. It's a beat to death question. Do a search on the gray line above. It has many post's you can read.

12. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I run 3 batterys on my truck. I have a diesel so I started with 2, then I added one more in the bed. Now my headlights don't even flicker when I hit the plow controler.

Think of it this way. You have a pump and a storage tank. The pump(alternator) replaces the water(power) to the tank(battery) at a rate of 10 gallons a minute. But when you open the bottom of the tank(move your plow) the water flows out at 25 gallons a minute. The more tanks you have or the bigger your tanks are, the less problems you will have draining them before the can be refilled.

Skip the Capacitor. just through in another battery.

13. famouslee99gt

famouslee99gt Member

I was looking under the hood last night, and on the diesels, the battery is on the passanger side, up against the firewall and fender. I measured my battery, and I'm not thinking it'll fit so easy, because I have a brace on the side that connects between the firewall and the fender. Anybody know of any solutions or have any pictures.

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

What truck are you talking about now?
    In your first post you have a "'99 Chevy 1500." now it is a diesel?

On your diesel?
    Does the plow draw power from both batts?
    If so, you need to clean your connections and have your batts load tested.

15. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Snofarmer, He said he was looking under the hood last night. On the diesel trucks the battery is by the firewall, but on his truck (99' 1500) there is a brace there. He didn't say has a diesel. Look it's your favorite face :dizzy: :dizzy: JK

16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: Thanks, I was up past my bed time last night:dizzy:
    Never mind:blush2:

An early morring too...

I bet the aux tray will replace the brace.

17. famouslee99gt

famouslee99gt Member

I did some more research, and another guy that had done the dual battery setup had a picture. You do have to remove the brace for the battery to fit.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Just remove the fender brace to add more room. If you look at a factory equipped duel battery GM, you'll see that that's exactly what GM did too...

19. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

you can get that battery bracket that is in the duramax diesels from gm. I put one on a '06' 6.0 gas Chevy last winter for a friend. The bracket that you speak of is not there on my diesel truck just like B&B says.

Picture 1 and 2 are what the 2nd battery mounts like on diesels.

Pictures 3 and 4 are my connector for my 3rd battery.

Picture 5 is where on a Chevy you need to connect things that have high draw. The 2 batteries on my truck meet at this junction box, with the alternator wire, and with my setup, my 3rd battery and plow power.

Batteries 001.JPG

Batteries 002.JPG

Batteries 003.JPG

Batteries 004.JPG

Batteries 005.JPG

20. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

my 03 chevy 2500 hd came stock with two batteries like the diesel setups. i have the plow prep, not sure if that makes a difference.