1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electric Hydraulic Pak Motor Question

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by monsonant, Dec 4, 2006.

1. monsonant

monsonant Junior Member

Family Plowman here , I have an older Electric Hydraulic Pak. It has served me well Keeping the Family and Friends driveways open . The problem I am having is not with the plow but with the motor . My motor is thge old style with 1 terminal . This terminal looks like it was made of copper . It has taken a beating , broke 1/2 off a couple years ago .....I hooked it up today and its working but I am down to my last couple threads and my connection is not as tight as I would like it to be for fear of stripping it completly.......
    My question is how do I or can I get inside the motor to replace the terminal . Thanks Dave A Monson Ma.

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Why not get a rebuilt motor, then you wont have to worry about it, there not that expensive. It must be getting close to worn out by now.

3. Ding

Ding Member

Is it an old Prestolite motor that looks like an old starter (70's era) or is it a newer model?

If so they are real easy to put another electric post in, Just study the end of the motor and you should see end to end bolts that allow you to seperate it, Just be careful to keep all the shims and thrust washers in the right place

4. monsonant

monsonant Junior Member

Plow is from late 80s
    Pretty sure the Fisher O.E. # is A5819
    I'll double check in the morning and post a photo ... thanks

5. monsonant

monsonant Junior Member

165-6541_img.jpg

As you can see we are getting a little snow this AM....
    Here it is ..... My temp solution was to put a coupler on what was left of the terminal and bolt the power cable to it , I felt I got better contact on the cable side doing it this way ......... anyway ........

plowmeister ....... That is a good solution but the Motor has been babied and stored inside and is working very well , hate to replace it just yet ... I'm part swamp yankee.
    I think this motor is Fisher O.E. # A5819
    The ground is connected to the bolt that holds the motor to the pump.
    If it is too complicated to take the motor apart I was thinking I could attach (weld ) a Battery Cable to it and bolt the two ends together ..................... any other ideas ?

Thanks !!

165-6541_img.jpg

6. Ding

Ding Member

That should be easy to replace the post. It is basically a starter motor in a different application. If you have never rebuilt an electric motor you may want to find someone who has to show you. However, it really isn't that difficult, one just needs to use common sense . . . Don't force anything, keep track of where things go, and keep it clean. In past days starter motors of this design were often repaired in the field or in general mechanical shops. If I were you, I would figure out the actual manufacturer of the motor and the model number. It is likely a standard model, with maybe a special number to indicate the application (kinda like private branding). I am guessing that it is a Prestolite or a Delco make.

Edit: The screw head you can see on the end (at top in picture) of the motor is one of the through bolts I was talking about. Once these 2 bolts are out that end plate should come off. The shaft and armature assembly will be exposed. You may have to take roll pins or set screws out of the gear on the other end in order to pull the armature assembly out to get at the electric post. There also might be large phillips head screws around the body of the motor which hold the fields in place. This should be what the post is connected to witha large wire / braided wire.

I would look up starter motors on the internet if you are unfamiliar with the insides.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  7. monsonant

monsonant Junior Member

Ding , Great advice , I appreciate the help . It is, like you said, basicly a big starter . I think I can handle that , ill let ya know how I make out . Thanks Dave A

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  8. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

What about just rethreading the post? Put a smaller nut on it

9. monsonant

monsonant Junior Member

Dave , Thought of that. the stud is COPPER and is now only between 5/8" - 3/4" long , it is 5/16 dia.I would have to cut it down to 1/4 " .. it might work but I think it would be pretty weak the motor moves a bit when riding / plowing and I feel the strain would be to much .

I have decided that If I cant put a new stud on it I am just gonna clamp the bare end of a cut battery cable to it and then bolt the two cable ends together it should work just fine and give me good contact ..... that motor draws a lot of juice . Thanks Dave A