1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electric Hoist Stalls Truck

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by BuffaloJoe, Mar 11, 2011.

1. BuffaloJoe

BuffaloJoe Member

I've got a GMC 3500 with an electric/ hydraulic dump body on it. Whenever I go to raise the hoist, the head lights come on dimly and the horn sounds and if the button is held for anymore than 2 seconds, the truck stalls. The solenoid on the hoist motor clicks even though I just replaced it. The power wire for the hoist is right to the positive end of the battery, and it is ground is through the pump/ motor and right to the frame. All of the connections are clean and tight. I am guessing that somewhere there is a wire somewhere that is lightly grounding, but there is miles of wiring on this truck and don't want to tear apart everything. Just seeing where I should start if anybody has any insight.

Thank You

PS. There is no problem with the hoist, because I hooked it up to another battery and it works flawlessly. I have also unhooked the trucks positive battery cable from the battery and it still doesn't work when it's grounded to the frame.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I'm going to say bad ground. Try hooking some jumper cables up from the pump to the ground on the battery to check.
  3. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Bad Solenoid?
  4. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Bad ground almost for certain. Nichols Landsca nailed the exact way to test it. A good ground is not about connecting it to the largest metal as close as possible, it is about the lowest amount of resistance back to the source. I would take a close look at the ground from the battery to chassis.
  5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

bad is your ground.:nod::nod:
  6. BuffaloJoe

BuffaloJoe Member

Yep it was the ground. The truck has two wires off the - side of the battery, a heavy and a light gauge. It was the light one that went to the body of the truck. I cleaned and greased them both and shes good to go. Thanks for the help everyone.
  7. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Upgrade that ground to a far larger wire. You are basically giving your truck a heart attack with that small guage wire from battery to chassis.