1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

electric fan question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ebauer14, Dec 12, 2009.

1. ebauer14

ebauer14 Junior Member
    from ny

Im kind of new at this so any info would be helpful, I have an 03 gmc 2500hd and when you drive with a plow on the truck runs a little hot, like 225. I was wondering if I added a fan in back of the radiator and in front of the engine fan, would that help by pulling more in. I originally thought of putting one in front of the radiator but theres really not a lot of room because of the transmission fluid cooling unit. I was just thinking of buying a fan off of jegs.com and putting it in but dont want to if its not going to help. any info would be great thanx.

2. jbohio20

jbohio20 Junior Member
    from ohio

i had the same problem few years back with a chevy i had. all i did was when driving from job to job i would lower the plow alittle bit when driving so better air flow would get threw the grill.

3. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

Right - My Chevy K1500 runs a bit hot from time to time. Once I see it up there, I simply re-adjust the blade and slow down a bit and she goes right back down where it belongs.....

I Shouldn't be driving that fast anyways! :nod:

Now if only I can get it (plow) running again!

4. ebauer14

ebauer14 Junior Member
    from ny

thanks guys, Ill try that

5. swmipropertymai

swmipropertymai Junior Member

i put a high flow water pump with a heavy duty radiator and some special fluid from lane automotive that racers use to lower engine temp. drive 70mph with blade straight and covering grill no problems. I would change out water pump to a high performance one if you have the diy knowledge to do so will cost around $150.

6. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

I tried yrs ago running a dual electric fan in conjuction with the mechanical fan, problem was the electric fan blew all the cold air onto the mechanical fan "thermostat" and the mechanical fan never engauged, even at idle. The fans i tried back then were'nt upto the task of being the sole air mover so the truck actually ran hotter. That was before i got into racing and knew which electric fans from the bone yard to get, so i pulled off the B&M fans i bought, and found a severe duty mechanical fan to put on the truck and it was better....but not the cure all either.

ended up having to drop the blade to almost ground level and then it was fine.

IF i were to have issues today, i'd junk the mechanical fan all together and run twin taurus or intrepid fans, gain hp/mpg and more air than a factory clutch fan could ever think of moving:)

7. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

Keep in mind on an older truck the front of the radiator and condenser maybe clogged with dirt and cotton wood seeds. This might not make a difference when you don't have the plow on, but when you mount the plow and restrict the air flow you can see the difference. Be sure to clean the front of the radiator thoroughly, might solve the problem.

8. plowinli

plowinli Member

I have been running Chevy's for years and airflow around the plow at highway speeds creates a vacuum behind the plow, by adjusting the plow right, left or lower you change the flow of air to allow it to flow through the radiator. My best results have been lowering the plow to just slightly above the road while on the highway, just have to remember to raise it when going on side road to avoid it touching the ground. The other suggestion of making sure your radiator is clean and not blocked or clogged is real important before adding a extra fan.