1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electric fan on Chevy 2500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CK82, Dec 19, 2005.

1. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

I have been having problems with my chevy silverado 2500 (454, 7.4liter) running really hot. It has an extra electric fan in front of the radiator and of course the stanadard clutch fan. I recently removed the clutch spring from its slot so the fan would run constantly and prevent it from running as hot, it worked for the most part. Well I was just curious as to whether or not I needed to do this since the truck is equipped with an extra electric fan to prevent it from running as hot? When does the electric fan come on, when the defrost is on or? I am losing a lot of power as a result of the clutch fan running constantly and would like to put things back to normal, that is if I can find a way to not overheat. Please help, or suggestions

Thanks
    Chris

2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

my 97 wu=ith the 454 has a electric fan on the external tranny cooler and it runs on a t stat i think. i would recommend replacing the fan clutch and t stat and you should be good u could put a lower temp t stat in 180 in stead of 195

3. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

My '87 had the electric fan and it was switched by a relay on the driver's side fender. I believe the ECU controlled the fan, based on coolant temp.

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

You are not supposed to run an electric fan in front of a mechanical fan. One blocks the flow of the other. Hard to beat a large, HD clutch fan on a truck.