1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electric Dump Tailgate Replacement Spreader VS Everything Else

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jbell36, Jan 30, 2013.

1. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

we are considering buying either a tailgate replacement or under tailgate spreader for a dump body (not the small receiver hitch kind)

first off, how do these compare to a V box? we have a V box right now and I don't think it has made it through one storm in 3 years without breaking...we have a nice dump body that i think would work best is we put a tailgate replacement spreader on there...anyone have any reasons why not to switch from a V box to a TG replacement?

also, we don't have hydraulics on the truck...is there anything wrong with going electric?

i've been looking at the snoex 2400 tailgate replacement or the salt dogg under tailgate...open for other options

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  2. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

As long as you do not have idiotic operators, that is a good way to go. Load your salt, raise the bed to keep it fed, and go on with it. You should have a plastic liner in the bed to help the salt flow, and to minimize corrosion, but other than that you will be fine.

3. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

it will either be me or my business partner operating it so that shouldn't be an issue, the employees will be operating the plow trucks (which still scares me.) they just seem like the way to go in my opinion, but i've never operated one...sometimes things look good on paper but are terrible in the actual field

Pros:
    much lighter than a v box, therefore you can load/handle more salt
    less to go wrong
    easier to get on/off
    don't take up as much room to store
    don't have to refuel, therefore don't have to bring additional fuel

Cons:
    drive with bed up when salt is getting low

am i missing anything?

so far in the last few seasons we have had chains lock up, carb replaced, and starter replaced...given it was neglected early on (previous owner), i don't think i want to touch another V box because we have the option of a dump bed...it sounds like the electric would be an upgrade, but that's why i'm asking, i don't know a lot about them...

4. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

and does anyone have any feedback on the under tailgate vs replacement tailgate?

5. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

I would go with replacement tailgate vs under gate, simply because they are stronger and have less to go wrong.

I have installed one Buyers replacement gate a few years back, and never had any issues from the guy.

If you have a poly liner, you only have to tip it a few times to move the material to the very back, and most of the time you only have to do it no more than a foot or two.

6. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

my rep said he spoke with the snoex factory and said the replacement was the way to go simply for the fact that when you have the bed tilted back you won't hit the spinner when going up/down and incline or bump as the under tailgate can get very close to the ground

hatefulmechanic, is there less need for tilting with the TGR over the UTG in general?

7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have truckcraft tailgate replacement on my inserts and they are great, but once I get a one ton with a dump body I am going to go with the truckcraft under tailgate unit on that truck as you will keep a better flow of material with the UTG and won't have to keep the bed up as much when salting a lot. Plus you Can still use the bed withiut having to remove the unti unlike the tailgate replacement will take a little time.They are both great but IMO I would go with the UTG. Hope his helps

8. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Swenson's unit is great! I've used both and they both have their uses, but the extra capacity with the RTG spreader helps.

9. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

The main reason for a rtg unit over a utg is ground clearance.Check swensons website,I think you need 42" or the spinner will hit the ground.I would recomend a swenson.The unit is exactly the same as their hydro unit but has electric motors.It's not a toy like some of the other units.

10. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I too have been interested in replacement tailgate spreaders. The only two drawbacks for me is losing the storage for shovels on the sides of the bed and being more difficult to cover the load. We often have rain mix in and I use treated salt. I don't like the idea of an uncovered load. Convince me its ok to not cover my load. I have always done so.

11. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Have a custom roll tarp made that will cover it. Many ways to keep the water out. Mine cost $100.

12. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

I might like to add a third option:

I agree entirely with the OP about chain conveyor, gas powered, spreaders--so much to go wrong or put a wrench (literally) in a time sensitive service. I operated two of them in MN several years back--never again. One of them in particular I shoveled out several times by hand--these are not fond experiences, but come with the territory.

I have a good friend in Detroit who bought a buyers plastic V-box electric drive with auger feed--they have had that unit for over 5 seasons with 0 issues. Based on their experience I recommended that model as an option to one of my associates here and he has been equally impressed. It is light enough that with a stand one person can load and unload the spreader from the truck and two people don't need a stand at all.

Not sure how big they make them--both of these models were for one ton ish trucks and held a yard to 1.5 yards of salt. No raising the bed, no chains to stretch, no gas to run out of, no dead battery keeping the unit from starting, etc etc etc.... and less wear and tear on the body of the truck

Just a thought

13. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

not a bad option...i'm not necessarily looking to completely get rid of the v box design, i just want to get rid of the one we have...so many problems it's almost funny...like i said, way way way too many things to go wrong...electric seems to be where it's at...i just figured since we have a dump bed already, might as well go with a TGR over the other options...

sounds like everyone is pro electric, i was just hoping the consensus wouldn't be "electric is ****." that at least narrows my options

14. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

You could switch your V-box over to electric also.. That's what I am going to do with my Meyers when the motor goes . My electric airflow works like a charm. There are a few threads on here how to do it, Just search.

15. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

yeah ours is an air flo as well...i have a very sour taste in my mouth, even if it wasn't completely their fault...there is no way i'm keeping the one we have, i would almost pay someone to take if off my property...our plan is to fix it, get it in working order, and sell it...there's a good chance it will work completely fine for the next guy, but im' not willing to take that chance

16. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

more than anything the chain conveyor left the worst taste for me......