1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electric Dump Problems

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by braxton, Feb 16, 2004.

1. braxton

braxton Junior Member
    from lee, ma

Have a 1997 F- 350 w/ 8' masons dump. From nowhere my dump does not work. Its an electric one, and when you push the button up or down it makes a clicking noise from the dump motor?

Any help would be great.

2. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

The clicking noise you hear is probably the power solenoid (2 big wires 1 or 2 small wires) check the connections on the big wires that you have a good connection to the battery and check the ground wire (not connected on the solenoid).
    There should be 12v on one of the big terminals at rest and when in operation you should have 12v power at both of the big terminals. good luck post results.
  3. clueless

clueless Member
    from pa

also check to see if there is power going through the solenoid also.does this have a fuse/circut breaker/shut off solenoid in the system for the main battery cable coming from the battery to the solenoid?corosion on it will cause a no run system,just enough amps going through to engage the solenoid,but not enough to run the motor.

also is this syetem power up/down or power up/float gravity down?does it have 2 valves on top of the power unit or1?single is power up/gravity down.

i used to install dump bodies and this is just a few things to look for.just because you have voltage,you might not have ampreage there to run the system.
  4. Gadget

Gadget Junior Member

My first guess would be the ground - make sure it's clean and tight.