1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electric conversion from an engine driven hydraulic

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Ffirefighter, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Ffirefighter

Ffirefighter Junior Member

I am a nwbie here and thank you all. I just bought a 95 F150 that came with a fisher plow. Its not a MM. I believe it to be an a speedcaster?? Anyway. Is there a way to convert a motor driven hydraulic plow system to an electric one? I want to put this plow on a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 but i cant seem to get anywhere on installation. Your help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Mark

2. Megunticook

Megunticook Senior Member
    from Maine

Is there room for a pump in the Dodge? If so, consider sticking with the conventional belt-driven hydraulics. I have that on an older Dodge, works great.

Putting the fluid reservoir and pump out of the warm engine compartment and taxing the vehicle's electrical system to power the pump introduces a host of potential headaches and issues. I'm sure there are some advantages to the electrical system (quicker blade action maybe) but, as my local dealer told me, the move away from conventional hydraulics was driven by decreasing space for pumps in the engine compartments of newer vehicles...so if you've got the room...

3. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Why change if you do not have to. I had a 78 f100 with a fully belt driven hydraulic system. Know how many problems I had with that plow which I retired in 2003. ZERO. The truck and blade rotted away. The plow never failed to go up, come down or angle. Ever! I have had many problems with my meyer E 60 and a few with my newer MMI. If I could go back to a underhood belt driven system I would.

4. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

Why do you want to switch trucks? Is the Ford not serviceable?

The time and expense of switching a plow from truck to truck can be significant. As others have stated, the Fisher belt driven hydraulic system is considered the gold standard -- to convert to electric would be a step backwards.

jp

5. Megunticook

Megunticook Senior Member
    from Maine

I didn't put it quite so bluntly for fear of offending anyone--but I'm glad to hear you say it. I'd be curious what the engineers at Fisher would say (privately).

6. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

They know it. I have gotten into big duscussion with them on it and wanting them to bring back some sort of universal kit. The bean counters in there from DD prevent it though. It is the most reliable setup you can run short of having a complete central hydraulic system installed.

7. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

we just did one for a bronco
    you need wiring harness # F 7648 (100$$)
    relay #5794k-1(14$$) and there is a patch
    cable to connect from the harness to the
    fishstick will get that part # tomorrow it cost 28 bucks
    this is a basic pump control NO lights
    hope this helps

8. Flipper

from CT

You forgot the powerpack $1200 or more. New hoses and connectors also may be needed.

9. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

i figured that was a no brainer......:drinkup:

10. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

I use belt belt driven. Trouble free, no additional amperage draw, you can run all your accessories and not worry about your alternator, cables, etc. failing. Mine are made by Monarch Road Machinery in Michigan. They use 10W oil. Simple stuff. They are the oldest single business in Michigan. Never had a failure, and I would put them up against Western, Boss, Fisher, Meyer, homestead, or any other plow manufacturer. Failure rate is zero, nada, zip, none, excellent quality, simple to repair (if ever) and a great company to do business with. My 46 Willys CJ2 had a Monarch Hy-Lo that was original, and was still going strong after about 40 winters. I wish I still had that Jeep. It was an animal in the winter.

I would choose belt driven over electric any day.

11. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

I don't think you'd get any arguement from the Fisher folks. As I understand it, the choice to switch to electric powered pumps was for necessity, not as a design improvement. Trying to keep up with the rediculous design decisions made by all the truck manufacturers would be nearly impossible. It would make the install price so much higher than the other plow companies (Western and Meyer have been elec/hydraulic since their inception.) that it would make it tough for Fisher to remain competitive on price-point.

jp

12. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

I had a Monarch Hy-Lo powering Fisher hardware on my '53 Willys pick-up. Mine was absolutely trouble-free too. I sold it a few years ago... and updated to my "modern" '85 CJ-7 with the complete Fisher system.

jp

13. Flipper

from CT

To be fair, Western and Meyer both made or sold belt drive systems many many years ago. I have seen and repaired them both. The had the same reliability as Fisher, Fisher just held onto the Belt Drive longer.

14. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

Didn't know that -- thanks for the info.. It must have been a while ago... 1960s? I thought I recalled electric/hydraulic setups by both Meyer and Western from the 60s and 70s... but I could be wrong. (It certainly wouldn't be the first time!)

jp

15. Flipper

from CT

I have seen Meyer belt drive setups on Dodges from the 70s and early 80s.

16. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

Live and learn. I apparently have lived a sheltered life:)

Thanks.

jp

17. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I am to young to have ever had a belt driven system and I make replacing the alternator part of my yearly maintainance. My father in law however used to plow with a belt driven system and said he would never go back. The electric works twice as fast according to him. I have thought about wiring up some extra batteries in the bed of the truck to work as both ballast and to help with the 80 + amp current draw

Lou

18. Flipper

from CT

I never understood all the need for speed. Plows move so fast now they shake the truck. I have actually put flow redcucers into an insta-act to slow it down a bit.

I keep putting the belt drives in whenever I can.

19. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I wish i had the first minute mount setup, when it was still hydraulic...best of both worlds, fast hookup (hydro quick connects and one electric plug for the lights) and the unbeatable reliability of the the fisher under hood system. No electrical draw, no funky electrical parts, and if you wanted to speed up the blade, hit the throttle a little bit! Maybe once i get a new truck i'll put my current electric mm setup on the new(er) truck and find the parts to do that older system on my truck!! Would be awesome!

20. 1bohica

1bohica Junior Member
    from MA

been there done that Hydro vs Electric

had one of them there Dodges with the Hydro Meyers. Worked great however there was 1 design flaw....they ran the hoses under the battery tray, need I say more?? Now for a conversion from Electric to hydro on today's trucks that's going to be a challenge most of them run specific serpentine belts so where, or how are are you going to run the hydro pump.
    Finally after searching for a replacement for 1996 Ram 1500 (yeah, I know...but one thing it did do.... pushed snow), For those that have the Dana 44 (I think) and vacuum actuator there's a manual conversion out there (I had one installed after many actuator failures and 3 stub axles) IT WORKS, never had a problem in 4 years with it..I beleive the supplier is out of GA. Get a Crown Trannie Supply (Jeep Stuff) (Duxbury MA) catalog, and you'll see them listed in there.
    As far as Fisher vs Meyers, ran Meyers from 1968-96, can't go back to them. I'll keep the Fisher.
    BTW anyone know if they (Fisher) make an ectension or patch cord about 18" long that would go between the plug in and the Fish Sttck???