1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electric Choke

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jrm123180, Dec 19, 2004.

1. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

I just dropped a 350sb engine into my '79 Chevy K10. This engine is out of an 85 suburban, it has a Rochester carb on it (model unknown)

I can not get my engine to idle down and have checked everything. The idle screw is even turned all the way down.

when I hold the choke close it will idle down and stall, could the cause of this be because the electric choke is not hooked up?

I have looked for vacuum leaks and can't find one. Any suggestions?

Steve

2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

You should be able to see if the choke is set on one of the steps on the cam. Look behind the choke coil and see if you're able to release it by pushing down on the cam. When it is running warmed up is the choke plate not sitting verticle or near verticle? It does take voltage to an electric choke coil to move it to release the choke all the way. Dodge used a timer, not sure how Chevy did it.