1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

electric choke

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bodhidexter, Aug 8, 2004.

1. bodhidexter

bodhidexter Junior Member
    from ma

is there any way to test an electric choke? i tried running 12 volts through it but the coil never moved when heated with heat gun coil does move.

2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

An electric choke should snap closed when cold and the throttle is pumped once.

When 12 volts is applied, the resistance causes heat which makes the bimetallic spring uncoil and open the choke.

If this is not happening, something is definately screwed up.

Are we talking about a Quadrajet equipped truck (I'm assuming so)? They are usually the round black thingie on the side of the carb.... the factory usually presets them and rivets them in place so people can't adjust them--another one of their pain in the a$$ ideas. In order to adjust or replace one, you must carefully drill out the rivets (three usually) and replace them with tiny self-tapping screws. You can adjust the choke then by rotating it in the pocket. You may find that the spring inside is just broken from too many years of uncoiling.

Hopefully someone can second the above information.

3. ratplow408

ratplow408 Member
    from PA

About 7 years ago I bought a brand new Edlebrock q-jet and spring was never hooked up arm that uncoils spring.If your are getting 12 v to end of connector, take off cover and look at spring.Good place to start. Check linkage too.

4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Not sure about Chevy, but my Dodge has a choke timer/resistor that slowly brings up the voltage to the choke, depending on the underhood temperature. Use a test light when you apply the voltage, maybe the choke is not grounded well