1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electric Choke Setup

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MTCK, Mar 5, 2002.

1. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Just got an electric choke kit for my edelbrock performer carb and I'm looking for a little bit of advise. The instructions look like they could have been done on a cocktail coaster. I have everything installed correctly, but I am not so sure about the rotation of the black cap with what appears to be a heating coil in it. When I turn the key on, nothing happens. The choke gets hot as can be, but it does not actuate the choke lever. Should the choke stay closed whenever the truck is off, and then slowly open as the coil heats and expands? Thanks guys.

Side note, also went for a new cam. Went with a comp cams 4x4 xtreme 206 duration intake, 214 exaust, .432 .453 lift respectively. I'll let y'all know how it works when I have time to put it in.

Marcus

2. 81pickup

81pickup Junior Member

When the engine is cold the choke stays closed. When you start it up, the coil expands and causes the choke to open. (it works much like the thermostat in a house) To adjust the choke you simply loosen the 3 retaining screws and turn the black counter-clockwise for a richer mixture or clockwise for a leaner mixture. You have to punch the accelerator a little for the choke to open up. Fast idle speed is controlled by a small scew that rides on a cam. Turning it in increases speed, turning it out decreases. Electric chokes can be difficult at times to set and are not exactly my favorite (even though both my vehicles have them) but once they are set up right they work great.
    PS Don't expect to get all the adjustments right the first time. It usually takes a bit of tweaking to get it to work just right.

3. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Thanks a lot 81p/u, I fiddled with it a bit and came to the conclusion that you gave me. Do you have to mess with yours as the seasons change? Seems like it will be an adjustment I will have to add to my list along with the idle mixtures and what not that will change with the outside temps. I just got sick of the cable for the manual choke binding up, coming off, and generally not working well. I suppose a more expensive cable would have fixed that, but now we'll see how this goes. Thanks again.

Marcus

4. 81pickup

81pickup Junior Member

I have never adjusted mine for different seasons. The coil inside the black cap adjusts the choke according to the outside temperature. If you pop your air cleaner off in the summertime when it is really warm out you will notice that the choke will be open more than normal because when the air is warm you don't need the richer fuel mixture.

Glad to be of help Marcus.

By the way make sure you keep everything clean. A little shot of carb cleaner once and a while never hurts. Ecpecially in the winter months to keep everything from freezing up.

Erik.