1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

electic or hydrualic

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by pdude, Dec 18, 2005.

1. pdude

pdude Junior Member
    from ct

im looking to get a plow for my 97 dodge dakota. it seems like i can only find electic. people i talked to said it sucked but then again they stoped plowin 15 years ago is the tech any better now or should i get hydrualic?
  2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I stoped plowing 4 years ago, I always had old fashioned hydrualic, never had a problem but I was jealous of the speed of the new electic ones. Now I'm getting back into it, got a 99 electic plow used and love the speed of it. It's kicking the crap out of my electical system though. I just replaced my altenator a couple months ago, 1 battery is 4 years old and one is 1 year old, both big ones, but I can run them down plowing after about an hour. So make sure your charging system is as good as it can be, and then get an electic, because you'll be lucky to find anything hydrualic, even for a 97, and if you do you won't be able to get parts for it as easy.
  3. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Ok I'm not quite sure if by hydraulic you mean engine mounted belt driven hydraulic pump or what but if your comparing belt driven pumps to electric powere hydraulics, the concensus is that belt driven is more reliable but with lack of room in the engine bay of new vehicles they are all mostly Electric over hydraulic. You'll be just fine with a electric over hydraulic pump, that's what most plows use.
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

you will be only able to find electric over hydraulic unless you have a central hyrdrualics which you cant get on a dakota