1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

elec motors on salt spreaders don't last

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by yardsmith, Nov 2, 2013.

1. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

hey guys
    I have a few tailgate spreaders (the kind with the bigger motor at the bottom with the 6" x 6" mounting plate), & have yet to have one of those motors make it into a 3rd season due to salt & corrosion. They come with the hard plastic dust cap to keep corrosion out but we all know how well that works.... I've used OEM & the $80 motors you get on ebay with similar results. I try to wash them off regularly, but to no avail. Maybe I should be super diligent & wash them after every outing; anybody found a way to make them last? I was thinking maybe clear silicone near the spindle or something...
  2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

We ran a vbox salt dogg with heavy loads ... year 4 and no problems.

We also ran sno way talk gate salters and it's year 6 no problems.

If yours is dropping dead then it's a cost of business and bad design. Time to break out the tools and start tinkering .....
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have both snow ex, and boss spreaders and have never replaced a motor on either. I bought them both used, and that was 5 years ago. I haven't done anything special to them, except wash them out every time I use them.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I had a Western 1000 for 8 seasons and never had a problem. The motor was up top but still. I even abused it by over loading it all the time and when I sold it , it still ran like new. Thumbs Up
  5. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

Im on the other side of the coin.. Every electric salter i have ever had I have had problems with either the wire harness or the motors. I switched to a gas powered v box a few years ago which works well but the motor does not always like to start in the cold. I have been going to central hydros and hydro powered salt spreaders on everything.... less worry about it not working in my mind....
  6. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

The spinner motor on my Swenson undertailgate lasted 3 yrs, the main motor that turns auger looks and runs like new. The shop that repaired it said that what happens is the motor heats up during use and as they cool off they suck moisture in. Still better than gas engines imho
  7. joeyg999

joeyg999 Member
    from Kansas

I have had an ebay motor for 4yrs now on a Meyer mini. After the old one crapped out in 2 seasons I drilled the new one and tapped the new one to add some oil to it. I used a 1/8th allen and only use a few drops of 3 and 1 oil in it then run it for a few minutes.
  8. mnguy

mnguy Member

i am on my third spinner motor in a one year old fisher 1.5 yrd poly spreader. First one original went out just testing a week ago, got a oem replacement and it was wired in reverse (from Factory). Geeze how frustrating my third is on its way. I will check it before installing it. So far 6 man hours lost, just glad we don't wait till the last minute.