1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Elctronics problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DRIFTER92, Jan 12, 2010.

1. DRIFTER92

DRIFTER92 Senior Member

My keyless entry was the first to go, lasted 3 days, now it works when it wants to.

What i am really WORRIED about is the Electronic 4WD doing the same.

So how can i do preventative maintenance for the 4WD, Ive got a key so i can still get in if need be, but i definitely don't want to be stuck with no 4WD at 4AM.

2006 Chevrolet 3500 6.6 D/max Allison.

I know it is cold/humidity/moisture but what areas should i dry out and coat with some grease to prevent this on either items above OR any other things that might be heading my way you guys have had trouble with, please fill me in i don't like working in the dark at -10 wind chill, id have to switch to wiskey... ;)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

To help keep the 4WD alive add some dielectric grease in the connector plug on the encoder motor and at the axle actuator connector plug. Same with the NSBU switch on the side of your Allison if you can remove the connector plugs (if you can't easily, then don't touch them). Once its all connected back up liberally coat the NSBU, the axle actuator and the encoder motor with Fluid Film at least at the beginning of every plow season. Its the corrosion that gets these very needed components. In fact, while you're under there coat every single brake and fuel line as well as the entire ABS unit located on the inside of the frame. Any preventative measures you take now will help to insure maximum life from all these components.

Side note, wouldn't be surprised if you keyless issue is just a weak battery or faulty key fob.

3. DRIFTER92

DRIFTER92 Senior Member

Thought the same thing on the key fob but both batteries in both key fobs at the same time? Doubtful, i use one all the time leave the other as a spare set. Im sure there is a connection like youre talking about, im just wanting to know where it is so i can do a little grease job on it

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If there's a loose connection causing the keyless entry issue then it would be at the body control module....which would be unlikely. Try reprogramming both the key fobs back to the truck. Often times that fixes many keyless issues. Especially after a battery replacement.

5. DRIFTER92

DRIFTER92 Senior Member

Since i pulled the truck into the shop for a couple days working on my liquid salt spreader im building the problem has stopped. No battery replaced, really odd how it has happened. Just curious if anyone else has had this issue before. Im definitely going to grease my electronic 4wd plugs and tranny plugs before the next round to prevent some type of issue on something critical.